Join Our Mailing List
Enter Email Address
The No. 4 Georgia women’s tennis team beat No. 51 Arkansas 5-0 Sunday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex to advance to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships for the 24th time in program history. The Bulldogs were helped by loud crowd of more than 500 people in its two matches this weekend.
“It’s very exciting to be headed back to Charlottesville,” said head coach Jeff Wallace, now in his 29th season. “It’s great to get the spring started with some dual matches here at home. I thought we played some great tennis today against Arkansas. Arkansas has a young team and they fought hard. Doubles was great with Kate and Silvia closing it out and then everyone came out and looked sharp in singles. We’re looking forward to getting back to Virginia and making a run.”
Georgia (2-0) won a thrilling doubles point and quickly won five singles matches to advance to February’s Championships.
In doubles, the fifth-ranked duo of Maho Kowase and Lauren Herring beat the Razorbacks’ (1-1) Kimberley-Ann Surin and Brittany Huxley, 6-1. Silvia Garcia and Kate Fuller clinched the point with a 6-4 victory over Yang Pang and Oleksandra Shkorupeieva. Lilly Kimbell and Caroline Brinson fought back after being down two breaks to tie the match at 5-5 before it was suspended.
In singles, Georgia went up 2-0 when No. 33 Kimbell beat Surin, 6-1, 6-3. Shortly after, No. 10 Garcia topped No. 115 Hudson 6-1, 6-3 to give the Bulldogs a 3-0 advantage. No. 25 Kowase clinched the Georgia victory with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Arkansas’ McLean. Herring notched Georgia’s fifth point of the day with a 6-0, 6-3 win over No. 71 Yang Pang. Though the match outcome had already been clinched prior to the end of Herring’s match, the final point was in progress so it was allowed to finish, giving Georgia a 5-0 win.
The Bulldogs improve to 25-3 all-time against the Razorbacks. The two teams will meet again on April 4 in Fayetteville. With today’s win, Georgia will head to its 24th ITA National Indoor Championship on Feb. 7-10. The Bulldogs have won three national indoor team titles.
The Bulldogs will return to action against Clemson next Saturday at noon. All regular season matches are held at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and admission is free.
#4 Georgia 5, #51 Arkansas 0
1. #4 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. #71 Yang Pang (UARK) 6-0, 6-3
2. #10 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. #115 Shannon Hudson (UARK) 6-1, 6-3
3. #25 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Sarah McLean (UARK) 6-3, 6-1
4. #33 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Kimberley-Ann Surin (UARK) 6-1, 6-3
5. Kate Fuller (UGA) vs. Brittany Huxley (UARK) 0-1, unfinished
6. Mia King (UGA) vs. O. Shkorupeieva (UARK) unfinished
1. #5 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Kimberley-Ann Surin/Brittany Huxley (UARK) 6-1
2. Silvia Garcia/Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Yang Pang/O. Shkorupeieva (UARK) 6-4
3. Lilly Kimbell/Caroline Brinson (UGA) vs. Shannon Hudson/Sarah McLean (UARK) 5-5, unfinished
Arkansas 1-1; National ranking #51
Georgia 2-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,2,3,1)
ITA Kickoff Weekend: 2nd Round
Official: Clark Weaver T-2:41 A-175