Georgia Bulldogs Record: 17-12 (4-5 SEC); Streak: W2
Stats Link: CLICK HERE FOR STATS
Last Week’s Results (2-2 at home)
March 22 lost 4-2 to Kennesaw State
March 31 lost to #21 Alabama 10-7 (13)
April 1 beat No. 21 Alabama 7-1
April 2 beat No. 21 Alabama 12-4
This Week (4 games)
April 4 vs. #17 Clemson, 7:02 pm (Foley Field), SEC Network+
April 8-10 at #3 Texas A&M, 7:35 pm; 2:05 pm; 2:05 pm ET; SEC Network+
Georgia (17-12, 4-5 SEC) continues a 22-game stretch against ranked opponents as it plays host to No. 17 Clemson (21-7) Tuesday before it heads to College Station for an SEC series against No. 3 Texas A&M (22-6, 4-5 SEC). Georgia is 3-3 against Top 25 teams this year including a series win over No. 21 Alabama this past weekend in Athens.
Tuesday’s game with the Tigers will be another staff night on the mound with freshman LHP Kevin Smith (3-1, 5.16 ERA) getting the start for a few innings. Clemson will counter with junior LHP Alex Bostic (3-2, 3.31 ERA). Meanwhile, the Aggies face Rice in Houston before Georgia comes to town. Last weekend, Clemson won an ACC home series over Pittsburgh 2-1 while the Aggies were swept by top-ranked Florida in Gainesville.
Offensively, Georgia was led in SEC action this past weekend by senior SS Nick King whip batted .538 (7-for-13) with a double and four RBI and was perfect in the field in 16 total chances. Junior C/RF Skyler Weber hit .429 (6-for-14) with a double and five RBI and was perfect in 17 total chances against No. 21 Alabama. Weber leads the team in batting at .323-1-17. Junior OF/1B Trevor Kieboom (.319-1-6) owns a career-best eight-game hitting streak while freshman C/DH Michael Currry has a career best seven-game hitting streak. Curry is tied for the team lead in home runs with five. Sophomore LF Keegan McGovern (.279-5-24), who has started all 29 games, leads the club in RBI and ranks among the league leaders in walks with 26. Georgia’s last 12 home runs have been solo shots.
On the mound, Georgia’s ace Robert Tyler is 3-1 with a 2.40 ERA and 54 strikeouts and just 19 walks in 41.1 innings. He came one out away from pitching a no-hitter against No. 21 Alabama last Friday in leading Georgia to a 7-1 win. Alabama smacked a pinch-hit home run, and it ended a stretch of 15.1 scoreless and hitless innings (a span of 53 batters) in SEC action for Tyler.
Upcoming Series Fast Facts
In records dating back to 1950, Georgia trails the Clemson series 74-53-1 however last year, Georgia swept a two-game set from the Tigers for the first time since 2009. Georgia travels to Clemson on April 19. In SEC action this weekend, Georgia heads to nationally-ranked Texas A&M. The Aggies lead the series 4-2. Georgia served as the Aggies first-ever SEC series opponent in 2013, and it swept the Bulldogs in College Station. In 2014, Georgia beat A&M in a series in Athens 2-1.
Pitcher of the Week Nominee
Robert Tyler, RHP, 6-4, 226, Jr., Cordele, Ga., University of Georgia
Weekly totals: 1G/1GS, W, CG, 9.0 IP, 1H, 1R/1ER, 2BB, 9K
- Carried a No-Hitter through 8.2 IP before allowing a pinch-hit solo home run in Georgia’s 7-1 win over #21 Alabama and that ended a stretch of 15.1 scoreless and hitless innings pitched in SEC action (a span of 53 batters faced between hits, covering three games until the home run in the 9th)
- Had a Perfect Game going through 6.1 innings versus Bama before issuing a couple of walks
- Faced just 29 batters in registering his 2nd career Complete Game as Georgia needed a strong start after Bama outlasted Georgia in 13 innings the night before in a game that lasted a school record 5 hours and 12 minutes.
- Held Bama to a .037 batting average (1-for-27) in going the distance on 109 pitches
- Fired Georgia’s first 1-hitter in 22 seasons, the last one coming in 1994 (John Hill vs. Winthrop)
- Notched Georgia’s first SEC Complete Game Win at home since 2014 (Ryan Lawlor vs. #7 South Carolina, 3-1)
- In 2016, Tyler is now 3-1, 2.40 ERA in 7 starts, 41.1 IP, 18H, 12R, 11R, 19BB, 54K, Opp. BA .130