Thursday’s practice wasn’t as hot as previous days, but it was still in the mid-90s. As we entered practice, Kirby was emphasizing mental toughness over the intercom as the players ground through the heat.
Here are some notes from Thursday’s practice:
- Jake Fromm (11) and Stetson Bennett (13) were the first and second-team QBs. Fromm connected on all of his throws. Bennett was then moved to throw with the tight ends.
- John Seter (16) was working with a few receivers on vertical routes.
- The battle between Ben Cleveland (74) and Cade Mays (77) is heating up for the starting right guard position. Cleveland has a slight advantage as he is practicing with the first team as of now.
- Charlie Woerner (89) was first, and then Eli Wolf (17) was second in the rotation at tight end.
- Wolf and Woerner caught all of their passes. It seemed like John Fitzpatrick and Kolby Wyatt were more on short routes, while Wolf and Woerner were running longer post routes.
- The battle for first team running back will be interesting over the next few weeks. Zamir White (3) was practicing with the first team, and D’Andre Swift (7) was second in the rotation
- Brian Herrien (35) was rotating in second and looked really good. He made a few nice cuts through defenders
- George Pickens (8), Lawrence Cager (15) and Cameron Moore (85) were running vertical routes with John Seter (16) passing to them
- Matt Landers (5) was practicing first in the rotation at the outside receiver position
- Tyler Simmons (87) was working on post routes with Dominick Blaylock (8)
- Tyler Clark (52) and Michael Barnett (94) were first in the rotation during a release and tackle drill. Clark’s footwork and release time is continuing to impress coaches
- Defensive Line coach Tray Scott was riding Netori Johnson (72) during release and tackle because of his false starts.
- The linebackers were working on their two and three-point stances.
- Azeez Ojulari (13) and Robert Beal Jr. (33) were first, followed by Jermaine Johnson and Walter Grant.