It’s Friday in Athens, and I’m making my game-day plan for Saturday. If you’re not rushing to Sanford to watch the Dawgs between the hedges, then let me give you a guide of where to go beyond the hedges for great food, drinks, and entertainment.
Top Downtown Picks
- Blind Pig Tavern – The best place to drink brews with your buds and eat burgers the size of your face. If you’re not into burgers, then chose one of the other mouth-watering entrees from their menu. Fries with gravy? Hot Dog? Hot wings? You name it, they have it. It’s our #1 choice for guys!https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4mdZ9DMOT/?taken-at=5355243&hl=en
- The Place – If you’re a Southern gent and love craft cocktails and good home cookin’, then The Place is the place you need to go. Nestled between Agora Vintage and Starbucks, you’ll find one of the newest and tastiest restaurants to hit Athens. Owned by two Bulldog alums, it’s definitely the place to go to rally before, during, and after the game.
- DePalmas – The older crowd can find solace inside DePalmas dark and sophisticated environment, while simultaneously indulging on guilty pleasure favorites like breadsticks and pizza.
- The Grill – A rest stop for the drunk and weary. This is the place you go after you’ve eaten dinner and filled your stomachs up with booze and other adult beverages. Their malted shakes, feta dip and crinkle fries, burgers, hot fingers, etc will have you revved up and ready for round two in no time.
- Ted’s Most Best – Whether you’re out with your kids or out with your old college pals, this is the place to go to enjoy beautiful downtown Athens. Grab a drink and a personal pizza, and sit on their divine patio, which is suited with umbrellas and shade.
Last Resort Grill – Three words: White Chocolate Cheesecake. Enough said.
- Barberito’s – For the Bulldog on the go. If you’re a man (or woman) on a mission, then Barbs is your place.
- Porterhouse Grill – Did we mentioned that their lunch menu is like $12 and under? Yeah, satisfying for the pocketbook AND tummy.
- Five Bar – When a restaurant only serves five dishes, you know it’s good. A new Bulldawg Illustrated favorite. Check out their Thanksgiving Day Dinner event here.
Eat your heart out Bulldawgs!
Until next time…
- GO DAWGS!