OXFORD, Miss. – Behind clinching points from Robert Loeb in both doubles and singles, the No. 14 Georgia Bulldog men’s tennis team powered a 5-2 victory over the Ole Miss Rebels on Friday at the Ole Miss Indoor Tennis Center.
On the first doubles court, the Georgia (8-5, 1-3) tandem of Walker Duncan and Jan Zielinski delivered its second-straight victory against a ranked opponent with a 6-3 victory over the No. 28 pair of Zvonimir Babic and Filip Kraljevic. Since joining forces in 2018 action, the juniors have faced three ranked pairs with a 2-0 clip.
After the Ole Miss (9-6, 1-4) team of Tim Sandkaulen and Grey Hamilton topped Wayne Montgomery and Nathan Ponwith on the second court, the doubles point came down to Robert Loeb and Alex Diaz, who notched a 6-3 win against Cotter Wilson and Finn Reynolds on the third court to hand Georgia the 1-0 edge.
No. 81 Ponwith and No. 24 Montgomery responded in singles – dominating past Babic and Hamilton on the No. 3 and No. 2 singles courts. The sophomore allowed Babic only two sets on the match, early in the opening frame, before closing out 6-2, 6-0. On the second court, the senior followed a 6-4 first set with a 6-1 second, bringing the Bulldogs one point away from the clinch.
Ole Miss notched two more points before the Bulldogs could seal it, with wins from No. 19 Tim Sandkaulen and Finn Reynolds against No. 47 Emil Reinberg and Diaz, respectively.
On the fifth court, Loeb completed his match in the same fashion the sophomore has in Georgia’s previous two wins – with his third-straight clinching victory – this time against Wilson 6-3, 6-3.
No. 21 Zielinski and No. 103 Kraljevic used a 10-point tiebreaker in the third set to decide the match, which the Georgia junior won 10-8 for the 5-2 match final.
Up next, Georgia travels to Fayetteville, Arkansas for a 2 p.m. Sunday matinee with the Razorbacks. Live scoring will be available for the match: http://gado.gs/8pg.
RESULTS // Oxford, Miss. //Ole Miss Indoor Tennis Center
Georgia 5, Ole Miss 2
March 16, 2018
1. Duncan/Zielinski (UGA) def. #28 Babic/Fraljevic (OM) 6-3
2. Sandkaulen/Hamilton (OM) def. Montgomery/Ponwith (UGA) 6-3
3. Loeb/Diaz (UGA) def. Wilson/Reynolds (OM) 6-3
1. #19 Tim Sandkaulen (OM) def. #47 Emil Reinberg (UGA) 6-2, 6-3
2. #24 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. Grey Hamilton (OM) 6-4, 6-1
3. #81 Nathan Ponwith (UGA) def. Zvonimir Babic (OM) 6-2, 6-0
4. #21 Jan Zielinski (UGA) def. #103 Filip Kraljevic (OM) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Robert Loeb (UGA) def. Cotter Wilson (OM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Finn Reynolds (OM) def. Alex Diaz (UGA) 6-4, 7-5