The seventh-ranked Georgia men’s tennis team downed the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 Sunday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex for its 10th straight victory.
With the win, UGA improves to 14-3 overall and 8-0 in the Southeastern Conference standings, remaining the only team with a perfect record in SEC play.
“That was a tough and difficult win on the road,” head coach Manuel Diaz said. “Our team did what we needed to do. We had to fight LSU’s momentum after winning the doubles point. I’m proud of our guys’ effort. It’s always a battle on the road. We survived today and were tough enough to overcome a good LSU team playing inspired tennis.”
The Bulldogs went down 1-0 early after dropping the doubles point. UGA was unable to pull off the comeback on courts one and three after Paul Oosterbaan and Jan Zielinski fell 7-5 on court two.
Oosterbaan wasted no time at the No. 4 court picking up UGA’s first singles victory of the day with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Boris Arias. Freshman Emil Reinberg followed shortly with a 6-2, 6-4 win against Andrew Korinek at the No. 6 court giving UGA its first lead of the day at 2-1.
Senior Nick Wood got back to his winning ways with a 6-3, 6-2 win on the No. 5 court against LSU’s Simon Freund extending Georgia’s lead to 3-1.
Fellow senior Austin Smith came up clutch for the second time this weekend delivering the clinching match at the No. 1 court with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory against 69th-ranked Jordan Daigle. Smith, who clinched Georgia’s match against No. 10 Texas A&M Friday night, now leads the team with four match clinchers this season.
Walker Duncan and Wayne Montgomery both lost following Smith’s clincher. Montgomery fell 2-6, 7-5, 5-7 to Justin Butsch, while Duncan fell 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 in a shortened superset tiebreaker match.
The Bulldogs return to action on Friday with a home match against rival Florida at 5 p.m. ET at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. UGA rounds out the weekend with another home stint against Auburn on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET.
Tennis Match Results
Sunday, April 3rd at Baton Rouge, LA
(LSU Tennis Complex)
#7 Georgia defeats #44 LSU (4-3)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,4,5,1,2,3)
1. #35 Austin Smith (UGA) def. #69 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. #34 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
3. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. #120 Walker Duncan (UGA) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Nick Wood (UGA) def. Simon Freund (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Emil Reinberg (UGA) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-2, 6-4
1. #10 Jordan Daigle/Boris Arias (LSU) vs. #5 Austin Smith/Ben Wagland (UGA) 6-6 (6-3), unfinished
2. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. #58 Paul Oosterbaan/Jan Zielinski (UGA) 7-5
3. Gabor Csonka/Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Wayne Montgomery/Emil Reinberg (UGA) 7-6 (7-5)