[su_spacer size=”20″] March of 2014 saw Georgia open spring practice on a bitter day with a new defensive coordinator. Much has changed in the last 12 months as this Logan Booker report from opening day 2014 illustrates. Another new coordinator begins his residency in Athens, fresh faces will get their first dose of college football and the first real quarterback battle in years will get underway.
First, a look back to the old days – you know, with classic heroes like Todd Gurley and David Andrews.
For starters, all eyes today were set on the four players who made headlines late Monday night for their arrests for “theft by deception.” It was unknown until media was allowed on the field to view sessions one and two today if they were even going to be with the team today. But Tray Matthews, Uriah LeMay, James Deloach, and Jon Taylor were with their respective units.
[su_spacer size=”40″] Tidbits:
- The boys were in shorts and helmets today during the first of 15 allotted practices
- Keith Marshall, who tore his ACL against Tennessee on October 5th, although wearing a green non-contact jersey, was running at a VERY impressive speed, while cutting!
- Malcolm Mitchell, also rehabbing an ACL tear, who many expect to be near 100% by the time fall camp rolls around, was also running what seemed to be at a good speed with the wide receivers.
- To continue the green jerseys (non-contact), Justin Scott-Wesley was running on the sidelines by himself.
- At one point, Jeremy Pruitt absolutely exploded on one small group of cornerbacks. He said some words I cannot repeat here, and pushed one of the players back. It was not a negative altercation at all, but more translated as a very intense coach. Good to see, to be honest.
- Hutson Mason, as expected was taking reps with the first team running backs. It was never clear who was running as a clear backup, but Faton Bauta and newcomer and early enrollee Jacob Park were getting reps as well.
- J.J. Green seemed to be at home with the cornerbacks. We did not see any drills with the ball, but his footwork seemed on par with anybody else out there.
[su_spacer size=”40″] (All photos: Logan Booker/BI)
Keith Marshall takes the ball from Faton Bauta
Everybody’s favorite BEAST, Todd Gurley
Keith Marshall having a good time.
That’s Malcolm Mitchell doing some hop drills. Certainly a good sign.
Malcolm Mitchell leading a running drill.
Mike Bobo watches over Keith Marshall doing a run drill.
Justin Scott Wesley, who was the last to have ACL surgery last fall, running by himself on the sidelines.
New defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt looking over what he has inherited.
Tray Matthews was present at practice this afternoon.
Damian Swann during a defensive drill.
Tray Matthews up close.
Tramel Terry, who is making a transition to safety, as the big man (Mark Richt) looks on in the background.
Brendan Langley (4) and Shaq Wiggins (6) during a defensive drill.
Michael Bennett working with the wide receivers.
Todd Gurley as Bryan McClendon looking over his stud running back, Todd Gurley.
A.J. Turman at the water station.
Todd Gurley running under a barrier.
And signing us off today, is Todd Gurley, Folks.
The team will conduct practice No. 2 on Thursday afternoon, also on the Woodruff practice fields. Hopefully as practices go on, we will be shown a little more schemes, and not as much fundamental drills like today. But practice is here and football is once again the talk of this town!