The big winners this past weekend were Florida and Ohio State. This coming Saturday will be one of the best in college football this season. Oklahoma plays Texas and LSU hosts Florida in a couple of mega showdowns. There are some big ones in the Big Ten and in the SEC, as Georgia hosts South Carolina and Alabama goes to Texas A&M.
1. LSU – The Fighting Tigers took care of Utah State 42-6 to make it 5-0 on the season. Now comes one of the biggest games of the season, as Florida heads to Baton Rouge. The Tigers have an explosive offense and all kinds of talent.
2. Alabama – The Crimson Tide haven’t had to sweat too much this season. They had this past week off to get ready for one of their three biggest challenges of the season. It’s off to Texas A&M, which Alabama has beaten six straight times.
3. Georgia – The Bulldogs dominated the final 33 minutes of the game last Saturday night, defeating Tennessee 43-14 to improve to 5-0. Georgia has a tough challenge with a noon visit from South Carolina, which had this past week off.
4. Ohio State – It was a dominating performance in a 34-10 win over Michigan State, which has an excellent defense. There has been no drop-off this year for OSU. The Buckeyes are off Saturday then have a Friday night game at Northwestern.
5. Oklahoma – The Sooners took down Kansas 45-20 to keep the undefeated train rolling. Now comes the biggest game of the year, as Oklahoma and Texas battle in the Red River Shootout in Dallas.
6. Florida – A 24-13 win over Auburn in The Swamp is the biggest for Dan Mullen at the Florida helm. The Gators are now 6-0 and have the monster showdown with the Bayou Bengals in Baton Rouge. This one has major ramifications.
7. Clemson – The Tigers had this past Saturday off after the narrow escape at North Carolina. Florida State heads to Tiger Town Saturday. The Seminoles will likely be the most talented team Clemson faces the rest of the way.
8. Wisconsin – The Badgers numbers are incredibly impressive, and a blowout of Kent State added to those. Wisconsin will have a tough test with Michigan State Saturday at Camp-Randall. The Spartans are coming off a loss to the Buckeyes.
9. Auburn – In a renewal of a once-great SEC rivalry, Auburn came up short in Gainesville 24-13. The Tigers just couldn’t cash in on their opportunities. Auburn has this week off and then a trip to Arkansas.
10. Notre Dame – The Fighting Irish blasted Bowling Green to improve to 4-1 on the season. Notre Dame gets its next big challenge now in the old, fabled intersectional rivalry, as Southern Cal heads to South Bend.
11. Penn State – The Nittany Lions are surging and added Purdue to their hit list last weekend. It will be tough in Iowa City Saturday. The Hawkeyes are coming off a 10-3 loss at Michigan.
12. Texas – The Longhorns took care of West Virginia, 42-20 and now get ready for the mega Red River Shootout with Oklahoma in Dallas. The Longhorns beat Oklahoma last season but fell to the Sooners in the Big XII Championship Game rematch.
13. Oregon – In a rare defensive struggle for the Ducks, they came through with a 17-7 win over Cal. With PAC-12 teams just beating each other up, Oregon is standing tall, losing only to Auburn in the season-opener.
14. Boise State – The Broncos are rolling at 5-0. Boise State took care of UNLV last Saturday night. There is a lot of talent back from last season that is blending nicely with newcomers at the skill positions. Hawaii comes to town Saturday night.
15. Utah – Sitting at 4-1 and as the front-runner in the PAC-12 South, Utah had this past week off and now heads to Oregon State. Utah’s defense was really good last time out in a 38-13 win over Washington State.
16. Michigan – The Wolverines struck early and then the defense held on in a 10-3 victory over Iowa, handing the Hawkeyes their first loss of the season. Michigan goes to Illinois Saturday and better not look ahead.
17. Baylor – The Bears are rolling and could be a threat to both Oklahoma and Texas in the Big XII. Baylor beat Kansas State 31-12 last weekend and now will get a tough test from Texas Tech, which just beat Oklahoma State.
18. Wake Forest – The last time the Demon Deacons started a season at 5-0 was 2006. The Wake Forest team went on to win the ACC championship. The Demon Deacons host Louisville Saturday night.
19. Iowa – It was a disappointing day for the Hawkeyes at the big house, as Michigan prevailed 10-3. The Hawkeyes figure to come back strong at home, but Saturday’s opponent Penn State is cooking!
20. Memphis – The Tigers appear to have the best team in the state of Tennessee this season. Memphis, which beat Lou Monroe 52-33 last week, will have its hands full Saturday against Temple in Philadelphia.
21. Minnesota – Those Golden Gophers, reigning Quicken Lanes Bowl champion, are keeping pace with Wisconsin. It’s a big game Saturday against Nebraska. P.J. Fleck has Minnesota rowing that boat towards an outstanding season.
22. SMU – What an incredible comeback for the Mustangs in their 43-37 triple-overtime win over Tulsa. SMU is 6-0. This is the program’s best start since the Pony Express of 1982 went 11-0-1.
23. Arizona State – The Sun Devils were off last week and now host Washington State. This one, largely because of the weather, is huge for home-field advantage. What a coaching match-up, Herm Edwards and Mike Leach.
24. Virginia – The Cavaliers were off this past week following a 35-20 loss at Notre Dame. Virginia goes to Miami Saturday. Virginia has to be considered the favorite in the ACC Coastal.
25. Texas A&M – The Aggies were off this past week to get ready for the monster visit from Alabama. The escape against Arkansas the week prior was enormous. Texas A&M plays a brutally tough schedule.