It was a Saturday filled with monster match-ups and traditional rivalries. There was a major upset in Athens, while Alabama and Oklahoma flexed their muscles in the Lone Star State. Clemson and Wisconsin played very well.
1. Alabama – The explosive Crimson Tide passing attack was clicking on all cylinders in a 47-28 win over Texas A&M in College Station. Alabama hosts rejuvenated Tennessee this week, the Vols coming off an upset win over Mississippi State.
2. LSU – Tiger Stadium was rocking Saturday night, as Joe Burrow and the explosive LSU offense won an SEC mega-showdown 42-28 over Florida. The Tigers will have to keep their eyes open Saturday at Mississippi State, which lost to Tennessee.
3. Oklahoma – Boomer Sooner is rolling with Jalen Hurts at quarterback. Oklahoma held on to beat Texas 34-27 in the Red River Shootout. Next up is struggling West Virginia. Lincoln Riley inherited a tremendous program and they are rolling.
4. Ohio State – The Buckeyes had the week off following an impressive 34-10 win over Michigan State in Columbus. It’s a Friday night affair this week at Northwestern. The Wildcats were also off last week.
5. Clemson – The Tigers blew away Florida State 45-14. You have to wonder, was North Carolina the last good upset shot in ACC play? Clemson goes to Louisville Saturday, as the defending champs try and make it 7-0.
6. Wisconsin – It was another muscle-flexing day for the Badgers, as they pounded Michigan State 34-0. This season Wisconsin has beaten Michigan and Michigan State by a combined count of 69-14. It’s off to Illinois Saturday.
7. Penn State – The Nittany Lions are in the midst of a really tough schedule stretch. They won a really tough one at Iowa 17-12 this past week. Penn State hosts Michigan Saturday and then heads to Michigan State.
8. Florida – Coming off a huge home win over Auburn, the Gators had the tough task of playing LSU in Baton Rouge. Florida hung tough, but the Tigers pulled away to win 42-28. The Gators now go to South Carolina, which just stunned Georgia in Athens.
9. Auburn – The Tigers were off this past week, giving them time to regroup from a tough loss at Florida. Auburn should roll Arkansas in Fayetteville, then comes the big showdown with LSU in Baton Rouge.
10. Notre Dame – The Fighting Irish held off Southern Cal to win 30-27 in South Bend. Since their six-point loss in Athens, the Irish have beaten both Virginia and the Trojans. Notre Dame is off this week then goes to Michigan.
11. Oregon – The Ducks were flying in a 45-3 rout of Colorado. Since dropping the season opener in heartbreaking fashion to Auburn in Dallas. Now comes a really, really big one with Washington in Seattle.
12. Boise State – The Broncos are kicking again, and the Blue Turf is scorching with a typical explosive offense. Boise State rolled past Hawaii 59-37 this past weekend. Now they’re off to BYU, which way back was in Boise State’s shoes.
13. Utah – Kyle Whittingham has his Running Utes in prime position in the PAC-12 South. There was no letdown look-ahead in a 52-7 trouncing or Oregon State in Corvallis. It’s a big showdown Saturday against Arizona State in Salt Lake City.
14. Baylor – The Bears are a perfect 6-0 and looking good in the Big XII. Baylor held off hot Texas Tech 33-30 last weekend and now head to Oklahoma State. If the Bears win this one, they are the top challenger to Oklahoma in the conference.
15. Georgia – It was a devastating loss for Georgia at home to South Carolina. The Bulldogs are home again Saturday, as Kentucky plays between the hedges. Georgia has won nine straight games against the Wildcats.
16. Arizona State – Herm Edwards has his team playing really good in Tempe. A 38-34 win over Mike Leach and Washington State has the Sun Devils at 5-1 and set up for a prime showdown against Utah Saturday on the road.
17. Michigan – The Wolverines survived Illinois and flashed some offense in a 42-25 win in Champagne. Things really get turned up these next two weeks in blue blood matchups with Penn State and Notre Dame.
18. Texas – It was a tough loss for the Longhorns, who fell to Oklahoma 34-27 in Dallas. Tom Herman has another good team, but they’ve come up short twice by seven points against elite foes LSU and the Sooners.
19. Appalachian State – The Mountaineers got a very impressive road win at Louisiana-Lafayette 17-7 last Wednesday. This is an outstanding program that just keeps on winning. Lou Monroe heads to Boone this week.
20. SMU – Coming off of an incredible comeback overtime victory over Tulsa, the Mustangs had an open date and now get Temple. The Owls are playing good, sitting at 5-1 on the season. This will be one of the biggest SMU home games since the 1980’s.
21. Minnesota – The Golden Gophers put it all together in a 34-7 trouncing of Nebraska in Minneapolis. At 6-0, 3-0 in the Big Ten, Minnesota goes to Rutgers Saturday and then gets Maryland at home.
22. Missouri – Since a surprising season-opening loss at Wyoming, the Tigers have been playing outstanding football. Mizzou beat Ole Miss this past weekend to make it five straight wins and now heads to Vandy.
23. Iowa – It was a second straight heartbreaking loss for Iowa against a Big Ten heavyweight. A week after falling to Michigan 10-3, the Hawkeyes lost to Penn State 17-12. Iowa hosts Purdue Saturday.
24. Washington – The Huskies had the offense cooking in Tuscon, as they rolled past Arizona 51-27. Washington will have to be on its “A-game” Saturday to have a chance, as Oregon heads to Seattle.
25. Cincinnati – The only loss this season for Cincinnati came to Ohio State in the second week of the campaign. The Bearcats improved to 5-1 with a 38-23 win over Houston this past weekend. They get Tulsa Saturday.