It was an incredible Saturday of college football, highlighted by a couple of undefeated versus undefeated major conference match-ups decided by five points. LSU and Minnesota were the teams of the week. There are some huge games this week, including the 124th edition of Georgia-Auburn and a tough road test for Wisconsin.
1. LSU – It was an epic win for the Tigers, who broke an eight-game losing streak to Alabama, prevailing 46-41 in Tuscaloosa. LSU’s hit list is extremely impressive – Texas, Florida, Auburn, and the Tide. Now comes a trip to Ole Miss.
2. Ohio State – It was a bludgeoning of Maryland 73-14. It may be worse this week with struggling Rutgers. The Buckeyes have dominated the competition and have separated themselves in the Big Ten.
3. Clemson – Ever since the escape against North Carolina, the Tigers have been absolutely mauling teams. The latest victim was N.C. State. Clemson hosts Wake Forest, which got pounded by Virginia Tech this past week.
4. Alabama – It was a classic shoot-out against LSU, and Alabama came up short 46-41. The Crimson Tide hits the road Saturday, taking on Mississippi State, which had this past Saturday off.
5. Georgia – The Bulldogs defense was awesome in a 27-0 win over Missouri. Next up is one of the toughest challenges of the season, with Auburn awaiting on the Plains. If the Bulldogs win, that clinches a berth in the SEC Championship Game.
6. Minnesota – It was Minnesota’s biggest win in 60 years, as the Golden Gophers took down Penn State 31-26 in Minneapolis. Sitting at 9-0, Minnesota is in the thick of everything. It’s going to be real tough Saturday at Iowa.
7. Florida – Last season after the Gators lost to Georgia, the Gators lost by 21 to Missouri. Not the case this year. A week after losing to the Dogs, Florida steamrolled sinking Vanderbilt 56-0. It’s off to Mizzou, which has won the last two meetings big.
8. Auburn – The Tigers had this past week off to sharpen their claws for Georgia. Auburn is 7-2 with losses at Florida and LSU. This should be a great defensive battle. The Tigers front is arguably the best in college football.
9. Oregon – The Ducks were off this past week, and now take on Arizona in Eugene. The Oregon offense is typically dangerous, but this defense is really good. The Ducks are riding an eight-game winning streak.
10. Baylor – In an old Southwest Conference classic Texas battle, the Bears held off Gary Patterson’s TCU Horned Frogs 29-23 in triple overtime. Now comes the big one with Oklahoma in Waco. This is one of Baylor’s biggest games ever.
11. Utah – The Runnin’ Utes had this past Saturday off to get ready for the home stretch.
12. Penn State – It was a tough loss for Penn State at Minnesota, as the Golden Gophers won 31-26. The Nittany Lions will have to be on their game Saturday as Indiana, coming off an open date, comes to town.
13. Oklahoma – Things got downright scary for the Sooners, who had a big lead evaporate against Iowa State. Oklahoma was able to hang on and win 42-41, and shift the focus now to the big game against unbeaten Baylor in Waco.
14. Notre Dame – It was just what the Fighting Irish needed. On the heels of a squeaker against Virginia Tech, Notre Dame blew past Duke 38-7. Now comes a top 25 showdown with Navy under the golden dome in a special rivalry.
15. Wisconsin – That loss to Illinois is just haunting for the Badgers. But, Wisconsin got a big 24-22 win over Iowa to make it 7-2 on the year. The Badgers are still alive in the Big Ten West race. It’s off to Nebraska Saturday.
16. Michigan – The Wolverines were off this past Saturday and the attention now turns to Michigan State for a tough home stretch. Jim Harbaugh wants this one badly. That rout of Notre Dame gave Michigan a huge lift.
17. Memphis – What a season it’s been for the Tigers of Shelby County, Tennessee. Memphis has a dynamite offense. The Tigers had the past week off to soak in the win over SMU. A trip to Houston is next in the tough American.
18. Cincinnati – Speaking of the tough American, Cincinnati is top the East Division, having lost only to Ohio State. The Bearcats pounded UConn 48-3 and hit the road for South Florida Saturday.
19. Texas A&M – The Aggies had this past week off and now get South Carolina. Texas A&M is 6-3, with losses to LSU, Alabama and Auburn. This offense is really clicking and the Aggies can be a wrecking ball in the home stretch.
20. Appalachian State – For all of the great accomplishments in Appalachian State’s football history, highlighted by three straight Division 1-AA championships, beating North Carolina and South Carolina in the same season is at the top of the list.
21. Navy – Anchors away, as the Midshipmen are 7-1 and heading into a huge showdown against Notre Dame in South Bend. Navy’s only loss is to Memphis. The boys from Annapolis could really play themselves into something.
22. SMU – It was an offensive outburst, but the Mustangs prevailed 59-51 over East Carolina. SMU is off this week and then comes a big meeting with Navy that has major postseason ramifications.
23. Boise State – The Broncos have been one of college football’s most successful programs in the 21st century. Boise State survived a scare against Wyoming and pulled it out 20-17 in overtime. New Mexico hits the blue turf Saturday.
24. Iowa – It was a heartbreaker for the Hawkeyes, who had a comeback effort come up just short against Wisconsin 24-22. It’s been a season of near misses for the Hawkeyes. Sky-high Minnesota comes to town Saturday.
25. Indiana – The Hoosiers are in the midst of one of their most successful seasons. At 7-2, Indiana now goes to Penn State, which is coming off a tough loss. The Hoosiers have been one of the big surprises in the country.