Georgia Lady Bulldogs (5-0) vs. Georgia State Panthers (3-1)
Thursday, Dec. 17 | 7 p.m. ET | Stegeman Coliseum (1,638) | Athens, Ga.
Watch: SEC Network + (Matt Stewart (play-by-play)/Mark Slonaker (analyst)
Listen: Georgia Bulldogs Sports Network (Jeff Dantzler)
*960 AM The REF, WXKT 103.7 FM in Athens or via the Georgia Bulldogs App
Women’s Basketball Fan Attendance Policy
– Due to social distancing protocols, Stegeman Coliseum will be operating at a reduced capacity of approximately 20% with ticket opportunities in blocks of two or four seats only.
– Fans will be required to wear face masks at all times while in Stegeman Coliseum.
– No fans are allowed on the court level of Stegeman.
– All seating is reserved for the 2020-2021 women’s basketball season.
– Tickets are mobile for the 2020-21 season. Tickets for Thursday’s game ARE still available. Visit www.georgiadogs.com/tickets to purchase a mobile ticket.
Opening Tip Storylines
• The undefeated Georgia Lady Bulldogs host Georgia State at 7 p.m. ET Thursday inside Stegeman Coliseum. The game will air on SEC Network +.
• Jeff Dantzler will call the contest on the Georgia Bulldogs Sports Network, which is available in Athens on 960 AM The REF and WXKT 103.7 FM.
• Georgia and Georgia State are both on win streaks entering Thursday’s game. The Lady Bulldogs have won five-straight games and are 5-0 this season, while the Panthers have won three-consecutive contests for a 3-1 record.
• The Lady Bulldogs — who are now receiving votes in the Associated Press poll — are off to their best start in three seasons. The 2017-18 squad began the year 7-0 on its way to a 26-7 record and second place finish in the SEC standings.
• Georgia opened the year with three-straight road games for the first time since the 2002-03 season. With a perfect 3-0 record in those matchups, it is the first time in program history Georgia won three-straight true road contests to begin a season.
• Georgia State has defeated Tennessee State, Furman and Life University in its last three games. Taylor Hosendove leads her team with 10.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game. She is the only Panther to average double figures in scoring. Georgia State is coached by Gene Hill, a former NC State who is in his third season as head coach.
• Former Lady Bulldog star Sherill Baker is an assistant coach at Georgia State. Baker was a 2006 AP All-American and the National Defensive Player of the Year to highlight her decorated career at UGA.
• Senior center Jenna Staiti has now scored in double figures in 13 of her last 14 games with five double-doubles. Staiti leads Georgia with 14.8 points and 7.8 rebounds per game. She also averages an SEC-best 3.0 blocks per game.
• Following Thursday’s game, Georgia hosts Furman and Appalachian State to close out the non-conference schedule before Christmas break.
Overall: Georgia leads, 17-10
In Athens: Georgia leads, 9-4
In Atlanta: Georgia leads, 8-6
Neutral Sites: 0-0
Current Streak: Georgia has won 16-straight
Last Meeting: Georgia won, 70-58 (12/1/13) in Athens
Largest Margin of Victory: 55 points, Georgia won 92-37 (12/12/94) in Atlanta
Largest Defeat: 28 points, Georgia State won 74-46 (2/5/79) in Atlanta
The Lady Bulldogs are a much improved team on the offensive end compared to last season. Georgia is averaging 77.0 points per game in 2020 after scoring just 63.2 points per contest last year. The team has scored over 80 points two times through the first five matchups. Last season, the Lady Bulldogs scored 80 or more points twice in 31 contests.
Barker Named SEC Freshman of the Week
Sarah Ashlee Barker was named the league’s Freshman of the Week following performances against East Carolina and Oklahoma. Barker continues to play valuable minutes and has made several key plays for the Lady Bulldogs this season.
With 2:19 left in the overtime period against Georgia Tech, Barker broke open a tie game with a made jump shot to put her team up 65-63. The Lady Bulldogs did not give up the lead the rest of the way en route to a 75-69 win. Barker then hit a 3-pointer in the fourth quarter against Oklahoma, giving Georgia its largest lead of the game at 14.
Georgia Reaches 1,000-Win Milestone
With its win against East Carolina on Dec. 3, Georgia became one of just two SEC programs (Tennessee) and one of 16 nationwide to reach the 1,000-win mark. The team commemorated the milestone with a special social media video narrated by Andy Landers and Joni Taylor.
Taylor, Connally Reach Important Marks Against Tech
Georgia defeated Georgia Tech this year to improve the Lady Bulldogs’ record to 36-7 against the Yellow Jackets. The win also marked the 100th of Coach Taylor’s career. Senior guard Gabby Connally reached the 1,000-point mark with a first-half basket against Tech.