WBB: Jenna Staiti Named to Naismith Player of the Year Midseason Team
Georgia’s leading scorer, rebounder and shot-blocker has had a sensational final campaign in Athens. Staiti has scored in double figures in 16 of 20 games this season and in 48 of her last 57 games overall.
She is one of just six players in program history to score over 1,000 career points, bring down over 500 rebounds and block over 200 shots.
The Cumming, Ga., native has put together some of her best performances in the toughest games. In the win against No. 2 NC State, Staiti scored 21 points to go with 11 rebounds and six blocks versus Preseason ACC Player of the Year and All-American Elisa Cunane. She recorded a double-double of 22 points and 11 boards and held All-SEC candidate Shakira Austin to just nine points in the win at No. 24 Ole Miss.
In addition to Tuesday’s recognition, Staiti was on the Wooden Award Top-25 Midseason Watch List and the Lisa Leslie Award Watch List.
MBB: Georgia (6-17, 1-9 SEC) vs. Florida (15-8, 5-5 SEC) Tonight
Tipoff: 6:30 p.m. ET
Location: Exactech Arena at the O’Connell Center (10,151) in Gainesville, Fla.
Watch: SEC Network (Roy Philpott, pbp; Mark Wise, analyst)
Listen: Georgia Bulldog Sports Network – Flagship: WSB AM 750; XM: 190; SXM App: 961. (Scott Howard, play-by-play; Chuck Dowdle, analyst; Adam Gillespie, producer)
The Starting 5…
• Braelen Bridges’ current FG percentage of .617 is No. 3 among UGA’s all-time season leaders.
• Aaron Cook entered this week ranked No. 13 nationally in both total assists (133) and assist average (6.0 apg).
• In 6 20-point outings, Kario Oquendo has connected on 56.3 percent of his FGs and 81.0 percent of his FTs.
• Jaxon Etter has drawn 21 charges in 22 games played…and 29 in his last 33 GPs dating to last season.
• UGA’s seven first-year transfers combined to score 4,782 points at their previous schools.
Jump To Comments