The Bulldogs jumped out to an early lead over the Wolverines by securing their fourth straight doubles point of the season with wins on courts two and three. Sophomore Caroline Brinson and freshman Hannah King recorded the first win with a quick 6-1 victory over Annie Wierda and Mira Ruder-Hook before junior Silvia Garcia and freshman Kennedy Shaffer clinched the doubles point for Georgia with a 6-4 win over No. 35 Sarah Lee and Ronit Yurovsky.
Garcia and Shaffer’s victory was the third doubles point they have clinched for the Bulldogs this spring and puts the duo at a perfect 4-0 for the season.
In singles, Brinson beat Ruder-Hook 6-0, 6-4 to double Georgia’s advantage on the afternoon but Michigan’s Alex Najarian downed Garcia 6-2, 6-2 to pull the Wolverines back within one. Bulldog senior No. 19 Lauren Herring then stepped up to restore Georgia’s two point margin with a 6-1, 7-6 win over No. 18 Emina Bektas on court one. The win marked the Greenville, N.C., native’s fourth singles win over a ranked opponent this season.
Shaffer clinched the overall match for Georgia with a 6-4, 6-2 win over No. 38 Sarah Lee on court three as the Bulldogs won 4-1 and secured a quarterfinal matchup with the nation’s No. 1 team in UCLA. The match is slated for noon at the Boar’s Head Sports Club on Saturday.
Live results and video will be available at match time by clicking here. Updates will also be available on Twitter (@UGAWomensTennis) and Facebook (Georgia Women’s Tennis).
1. Lauren Herring/Ellen Perez (UGA) vs. #10 Emina Bektas/Alex Najarian (MICH) 6-6, unfinished
2. Silvia Garcia/Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. #35 Sarah Lee/Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) 6-4
3. Caroline Brinson/Hannah King (UGA) def. Annie Wierda/Mira Ruder-Hook (MICH) 6-1
1. #19 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. #18 Emina Bektas (MICH) 6-1, 7-6
2. Ellen Perez (UGA) vs. #23 Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) 6-7, 6-2, 0-0, unfinished
3. Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. #38 Sarah Lee (MICH) 6-4, 6-2
4. Alex Najarian (MICH) def. #83 Silvia Garcia (UGA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Caroline Brinson (UGA) def. Mira Ruder-Hook (MICH) 6-0, 6-4
6. Mariana Gould (UGA) vs. Sara Remynse (MICH) 7-5, 0-4, unfinished