The No. 3 University of Georgia football team got back to practice Monday after beating Vanderbilt in their season opener this past Saturday. The Bulldogs were in helmets, shorts, and shoulder pads for Monday’s practice.
The media was allowed six minutes to observe practice, and as we walked out, head coach Kirby Smart was not holding back as he shouted loudly at every player he saw make a mistake during the previous periods’ drills. Here are Monday’s practice notes:
- Sophomore defensive lineman Tramel Walthour (90) was absent from practice during the media period. He didn’t make the trip to Nashville either.
- No injury seemed to be holding Malik Herring (10) back today. He was going full speed during drills and looked fully healthy from what I could see. Herring traveled to Nashville but was one of the few that traveled that did not play.
- Devonte Wyatt (95) and Zion Logue (96) were getting multiple reps in the drills that I observed. Defensive end Justin Young (92) was exploding off the ball today, and the coaches were giving him credit for his speed and agility around the cones.
- Freshman inside linebacker Nakobe Dean (17) was going through drills today. Dean seemed healthy and glad to be back at work practicing.
- Sophomore offensive lineman Jamaree Salyer (69) was back on the field today. He missed the past few weeks of practice with a foot injury. Salyer was practicing at right tackle.
- During position drills Trey Hill (56) was at starting center, Andrew Thomas (71) was at left tackle, and Solomon Kindley was at left tackle. Mays was at right guard and Isiah Wilson (79) was at right tackle. The offensive line looked like they were going 100 percent.
- Cade Mays (77) was snapping to Jake Fromm (11). Fromm and Stetson Bennett IV (13) were throwing to the tight ends. Both quarterbacks connected on passes to Charlie Woerner (89), Eli Wolf (17, and John Fitzpatrick (86).
Georgia will be back at practice Tuesday afternoon as they prepare to host the Murray State Racers for a 4:00 p.m. kickoff this Saturday at Sanford Stadium.