The media was allowed to view about ten minutes of practice on Monday afternoon, and the team was donned in helmets and shoulder pads. The heat index was hovering around 97 degrees Fahrenheit, but the players didn’t seem to mine and practiced through it. Here are notes from practice:
- The wide receivers were practicing catching passes from the quarterbacks. Jake Fromm (11) threw a pass behind wide receiver George Pickens (1), but Pickens made an athletic catch to haul it in.
- In addition to Pickens, Matt Landers (5) caught some passes in practice today too.
- The offensive line was practicing for the first time this season in a full group during the media viewing period.
- The first team offensive line consisted of Cade Mays (77) at right tackle, Ben Cleveland (74) at right guard, Trey Hill (55) at center, Solomon Kindley (66) at left guard, and Andrew Thomas (71) at left tackle,
- The second team group was made up of Jamaree Salyer (69), D’Marcus Hayes (78), Clay Webb (60), Warren McLendon (70) and Justin Schaffer (54).
- Isaiah Wilson (79) was not seen at practice today. He sustained a lower leg injury (ankle sprain) last week during Wednesday’s practice and did not play versus Murray State.
- The inside linebackers were working with student assistant Jarvis Jones. They were practicing on turning and bursting off the line.
- Azeez Olujari (13) was praised by Jones, and so was freshman Nolan Smith (4).
- Head coach Kirby Smart then came by and yelled at the rest of the guys to “have a little bit more pop in their hit” when they come in contact with the tackling dummies.
- I did not see cornerback DJ Daniel (14) practicing with the defensive backs during the short media viewing period, but that doesn’t mean he missed practice completely.