Georgia’s matchup with Vanderbilt has been canceled for the second time due to the Commodores not being able to field a full roster because of COVID-19 contact tracing.
According to the SEC, the game has been ruled a no-contest. The Bulldogs are currently trying to find a new team that’s a non-conference opponent. The game would have to be approved by the SEC.
According to UGASports.com, Colorado State is a viable option. Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity said that the program is currently searching for options.
Per VandySports.com writer Chris Lee, the Commodores had ten new players that were dealing with contact-tracing discrepancies following the loss to Tennessee.
Bulldogs’ head coach Kirby Smart is aware of the situation.
“We are optimistic that Vandy is going to be able to play,” Smart said on Monday during his weekly press conference. “That is not my expertise or my job to know exactly where they are. I am focused on us and where we are. We are optimistic we are going to be able to play. They were able to play last week against Tennessee, and we are looking forward to getting ours seniors out there for one last home game. That’s really all we can control. That is all we are focused on is playing them.”
Either way, if Georgia doesn’t find an opponent, the next they play will be more than likely on Jan. 1 in a New Year’s Six bowl game. Still, it’s unfortunate for Georgia’s seniors, who have dealt with uncertainty all year due to COVID.
Here is the video from Smart’s press conference: