[su_spacer size=”40″] The win moves the Bulldogs to 11-4 overall and 4-1 in the conference, while the Wildcats fall to 11-6 and 2-2. Georgia is now 6-0 at home this season.
The match was played indoors due to rain and began with the Bulldogs picking up two wins to claim the doubles point and an early 1-0 lead. The freshman duo of Laura Patterson and Hannah King won first with an 8-5 victory on court 3 before the No. 16 tandem of senior Lauren Herring and freshman Ellen Perez won 8-7 (3) on court 1 to clinch the point for Georgia. Both teams fought back from behind after going down early.
“I thought we did a great job on the number three court,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. “We’ve been working with a lot of different teams and working a lot in practice trying to figure things out. I thought Lauren and Hannah did a great job. They were really playing high-level doubles and it was exciting.”
In singles play, junior Silvia Garcia (102) sustained the Bulldogs’ momentum with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Mami Adachi (111) on court 3. Freshman Kennedy Shaffer (58) followed suit, claiming a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Kelsey Dieters on court 4 to make it 3-0 in Georgia’s favor.
Perez (56) then seized the opportunity to clinch her first career match for Georgia with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Aldila Sutjiadi on court 2. Her point gave the Bulldogs a 4-0 win and bumped Georgia’s record in the all-time series against the Wildcats to 33-10.
“Singles was good out there,” said Wallace. “I felt like our players came out and competed. Kennedy did an amazing job and Ellen maybe played her best match of the season. It was a good match for the team and now we’ve got to get ready for another tough SEC match against Vanderbilt come Sunday.”
The Bulldogs will face the Commodores at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Live scoring and a live chat will be available at match time on Georgiadogs.com.
- #11 Lauren Herring (UGA) vs. #85 Nadia Ravita (UK) 5-7, 3-0, unfinished
- #56 Ellen Perez (UGA) def. Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) 6-4, 6-3
- #102 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. #111 Mami Adachi (UK) 6-2, 6-0
- #58 Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. Kelsey Dieters (UK) 6-1, 6-2
- #55 Hannah King (UGA) vs. Kirsten Lewis (UK) 5-0, unfinished
- Taylor Lederman (UK) vs. Caroline Brinson (UGA) did not start
- #16 Lauren Herring/Ellen Perez (UGA) def. Aldila Sutjiadi/Mami Adachi (UK) 8-7 (7-3)
- #20 Silvia Garcia/Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) vs. Nadia Ravita/Kirsten Lewis (UK) 5-6, unfinished
- Hannah King/Laura Patterson (UGA) def. Edmee Morin-Kougouch/Kelsey Dieters (UK) 8-5
Order of Finish: Singles (3,4,2) Doubles (3,1)