Nick Wood outlasted UCLA’s Karue Sell, 3-6, 6-2, 6-1, to lift seventh-ranked Georgia to a 4-2 win over No. 4 UCLA Saturday at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility. The Bulldogs and Bruins were tied at 2-2, and UGA finished the match with wins by Austin Smith at No. 3 and the clincher by Wood at No. 5.
[break] [break] Georgia will take on No. 1 USC Sunday at 2 p.m. on the second day of the SEC/Pac-12 Showdown.
[break] [break] “I was ready to hand out all my compliments to UCLA because they had seemed to turn the tide,” Georgia coach Manuel Diaz said. “They were up a set at No. 5, and we were down a break at No. 6 with the last two matches remaining, and they were just playing better. But I was really impressed with the way our guys fought. It was a totally group victory. We played great doubles and we fought from the start. UCLA pulled even with us and had the momentum, but all the credit to Nick and Paul (Oosterbaan) there at the end.”
[break] [break] Georgia (3-0) took a 1-0 lead by winning doubles matches at Nos. 2 and 3. The 53-ranked tandem of Wayne Montgomery and Nathan Pasha were first to finish with a 6-3 win over Austin Rapp and Dennis Mkrtchian at No. 3. The Bruins (3-1) then won at No. 1, but Eric Diaz and Austin Smith answered at No. 2 with a 7-5 victory over Joseph Di Giullo and Karue Sell to put Georgia ahead 1-0.
[break] [break] No. 32 Montgomery cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 2 over Mkrtchian to make it 2-0, but UCLA won the next two matches at Nos. 1 and 4 to even the score. At No. 3, 11th-ranked Smith held off Gage Brymer, 6-1, 7-6(5) to help Georgia reclaim the lead, then Wood provided the clincher at No. 5. Paul Oosterbaan won his first set against Di Giulio, 7-5 and the match was halted early in the second set when Georgia clinched the victory.
[break] [break] The Bulldogs will take a 27-match regular season home court winning streak into Sunday’s matchup with USC. The Trojans beat No. 17 Florida 5-2 earlier on Saturday.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs Georgia
Jan. 31, 2015 at Athens, Ga.
(Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility)
[break] [break] #7 Georgia 4, #4 UCLA 2
[break] [break] Singles competition
1. #7 Mackenzie McDonald (UCLA) def. #15 Nathan Pasha (UGA) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
2. #32 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) 6-1, 6-0
3. #11 Austin Smith (UGA) def. Gage Brymer (UCLA) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
4. #88 Martin Redlicki (UCLA) def. Ben Wagland (UGA) 7-6 (8-6), 6-0
5. #101 Nick Wood (UGA) def. Karue Sell (UCLA) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) vs. Joseph Di Giulio (UCLA) 7-5, 1-2, unfinished
[break] [break] Doubles competition
1. #11 Mackenzie McDonald/Martin Redlicki (UCLA) def. #16 Paul Oosterbaan/Ben Wagland (UGA) 6-3
2. #34 Eric Diaz/Austin Smith (UGA) def. Joseph Di Giulio/Karue Sell (UCLA) 7-5
3. #53 Nathan Pasha/Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. Austin Rapp/Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) 6-3
[break] [break] Match Notes:
UCLA 3-1; National ranking #4
Georgia 3-0; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,1,4,3,5)
Official: Clark Weaver T-3:19 A-630