There were some great games on the opening weekend of college football. Alabama was dominant against Miami. Georgia won the biggest showdown of the weekend, edging Clemson. The Sunday night Notre Dame victory over Florida State was a thriller. On the national stage, Ohio State hosts Oregon in a monster game for both teams and the PAC-12’s playoff stature.
1. Alabama – The machine rolls on, as Alabama, with all sorts of attrition to the NFL, pummelled Miami 44-13 in the season opener in Atlanta. They have reloaded. Alabama hosts Mercer on Saturday.
2. Georgia – It was an epic defensive performance in a 10-3 opening weekend mega showdown victory over Clemson in Charlotte. The Bulldogs will have to be ready for tough UAB, which has won two of the last three C-USA championships.
3. Ohio State – It was a slugfest with Minnesota, and the Buckeyes speed on the perimeter made the difference. Now comes a massive clash in the horseshoe with the Oregon Ducks. The Buckeyes recruiting is next level in the Big Ten.
4. Oklahoma – The Sooners jumped out to a big lead over tough Tulane, and had to hang on to win the opener. Western Carolina heads to Norman Saturday, then comes what was once the grand rivalry game with Nebraska.
5. Clemson – The Tigers lost a tough one to Georgia in Charlotte, but everything is still in front of the six time defending ACC champions. Clemson certainly figures to be favored the rest of the way. The Tigers defense is tough and fast.
6. Notre Dame – It was an incredible game in Tallahassee, as Notre Dame escaped with a 41-38 overtime victory against Florida State. The Toledo Rockets come to South Bend Saturday, as the Irish try and make it 2-0.
7. Auburn – Bryan Harsin’s debut was extremely impressive, as the Tigers popped Akron 60-10. It’s another warm-up against Alabama State Saturday before a huge showdown with Penn State on the road.
8. Iowa – The Hawkeyes were one of the most impressive Week One teams, as they took down Big Ten rival Indiana 34-6. Gameday will be on hand in Ames for a big battle with Iowa State. Last year, Iowa lost by four and one then won six straight.
9. Southern Cal – The Trojans are ascending in the PAC-12 in a huge year for Clay Helton. A nice win over San Jose State got the season off to a great start. Now comes a nemesis, as Stanford heads to the Coliseum.
10. Oregon – The Ducks beat an excellent Fresno State team 31-24 to make it 1-0. Now comes the trip to Ohio State with a very early kickoff for a team from the west coast. Fingers are crossed for Kayvon Thibodeaux to be able to go.
11. Cincinnati – The Bearcats took down Miami of Ohio 49-14 in the season opener and are heavily favored with Murray State coming to town. Cincinnati has the goods to earn a major bowl berth for a second consecutive season
12. Virginia Tech – The Hokies, as a home underdog, took down North Carolina 16-10 and now host Middle Tennessee. Virginia Tech has a stingy defense and are now the favorites in the ACC Coastal.
13. Florida – The Gators took care of business in a 35-14 win over Florida Atlantic. Slumping South Florida is next in Tampa. The Gators will have a majority of the fans there. Then Alabama will visit “The Swamp.”
14. Texas A&M – The Aggies started slow but finished fast in a 41-10 win over Kent State. It’s an old Big XII battle Saturday, as the Aggies go to Colorado. There is a lot of talent in College Station and high expectations.
15. Iowa State – It was nervy against Northern Iowa, but the Cyclones found a way. Saturday’s battle with Iowa marks the first time both have been ranked in the in-state battle. This is a program that has come a long way.