It was a tremendous weekend of college football, highlighted by some tremendous mid-afternoon and night games. N.C. State derailed Clemson, Arkansas got a huge win, Auburn survived a scare, Oklahoma pulled one out. September is in the books, and now it is on to the heart of the season … October! Enjoy every Saturday. It flies by.
1. Alabama – The Crimson Tide took care of Southern Mississippi and now the focus turns to Ole MIss. The Rebels had this past Saturday off, and a lot of pundits are predicting a close call. Bama is extra dangerous in those spots.
2. Georgia – The stage is set for a huge battle with the Arkansas Razorbacks Between the Hedges. Georgia crushed Vanderbilt 62-0 to make it 4-0 on the season. The Bulldogs October schedule is one of the toughest in college football.
3. Oregon – The Ducks continue riding the momentum for their second week win over Ohio State. They handled Arizona, which plays Oregon well. Now the Ducks are off to Stanford. The physical Cardinal could give them a challenge Saturday.
4. Arkansas – The Razorbacks are flying high with a 4-0 record and program-changing wins over Texas and Texas A&M. This is a tough, physical team with big play capability. The defense is tough, strong and stout. The Hogs are in Athens Saturday.
5. Oklahoma – The Sooners had a terrific closing drive and split the uprights as the game ended to beat West Virginia 16-13. Next up is a trip to Kansas State, which has given the Sooners some problems through the years.
6. Florida – The Gators put on an outstanding second half performance against Tennessee in Gainesville. The SEC gauntlet continues this week against undefeated Kentucky in Lexington. Florida has dominated this series.
7. Penn State – The Nittany Lions weren’t at their best, but had plenty to beat Villanova 38-17, pushing their record to 4-0. Penn State hosts Indiana Saturday. The Hoosiers who pulled out a thriller in the season opener last year.
8. Iowa – The Hawkeyes are 4-0 and looking good as the top contender in the Big Ten West. Iowa started shaky against Colorado State, but pulled it out 24-14. It figures to be tough on Friday night in College Park against the Maryland Terrapins.
9. Notre Dame – The Fighting Irish had a dominant 31-point fourth quarter in a 41-13 pull away against Wisconsin at Soldier Field in Chicago. It should be a great game Saturday with Cincinnati heading to the Golden Dome.
10. Ohio State – The Buckeyes actually fell behind in the first quarter, but turned it on and put up big numbers. Next up is Rutgers in New Jersey. The Scarlet Knights are much improved and gave Michigan a tight game this past week.
11. Cincinnati – What an opportunity for the Bearcats, who head to Notre Dame Saturday. A win by Cincinnati would potentially give them an opening for something very special this season. The Bearcats have a tough defense, and they were off last week to get ready.
12. Ole Miss – The Rebels offense is cooking, rating amongst the nation’s leaders in several statistical categories. Ole Miss was off this past week to fine tune for the showdown against Alabama Saturday in Tuscaloosa.
13. Texas A&M – The Aggies lost the Southwest Classic to Arkansas for the first time, as the Razorbacks prevailed 20-10. Texas A&M tries to bounce back this week against Mississippi State in College Station.
14. Auburn – It was beyond scary for the Tigers in a comeback win against Georgia State. Auburn found a way. Now comes the annual slugfest with LSU this time in Baton Rouge, in a huge SEC West battle.
15. Kentucky – Big Blue is 4-0 and 2-0 in the Southeastern Conference. Kentucky beat South Carolina 16-10 this past week in Columbia, and now comes a huge showdown with the Gators in Lexington.