With the score knotted at 3-3, Gould and Ruiz found themselves locked in a winner-takes-all match on the number six court. Gould fought from behind in the first set to force a tiebreaker, which she ultimately won 7-3, and then broke Ruiz to win the second set 6-4 and clinch the overall match for Georgia.
Gould was not the only Bulldog to turn in a clutch performance on the evening, however, as sophomore Caroline Brinson, playing in a must-win match of her own, bested Clemson’s Jessy Rompies 6-4, 6-3 on court five to draw the score level at 3-3.
Prior to the two match-clinching victories, Georgia also found singles success on court one through reigning SEC Player of the Week Lauren Herring. The No. 19 ranked senior won 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 over No. 85 Romy Koetzer for the Bulldogs’ second point of the afternoon.
Georgia’s first point arrived via yet another impressive doubles performance as the Bulldogs used a pair of 6-1 victories to jump out to an early lead. Brinson and H. King earned the first win with a court three victory over the Tigers’ Joana Eidukonyte and Ruiz, while junior Silvia Garcia and freshman Kennedy Shaffer clinched the doubles point for the Bulldogs by defeating Tristen Dewar and Koelzer on court two. Herring and freshman Ellen Perez were winning 5-3 over the nation’s No. 2 ranked tandem of Beatrice Gumulya and Rompies on court one when the doubles point was clinched.
“I thought it was a great match,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. “Both teams really brought it. Getting the doubles point was big and after that we were just fighting the whole time. Everyone was playing high level tennis and it was just great to be on the winning side as we pulled out a big win on the road.”
Georgia will now travel north to face No. 10 Virginia on Monday in a 6 p.m. showdown at the Boar’s Head Sports Club in Charlottesville. The Bulldogs beat the Cavaliers 4-3 in Athens last spring.
- #19 Lauren Herring(UGA) def. #85 Romy Koelzer (CU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
- Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Ellen Perez(UGA) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- #27 Joana Eidukonyte (CU) def. #83 Silvia Garcia(UGA) 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
- Tristen Dewar (CU) def. #91 Hannah King(UGA) 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
- Caroline Brinson(UGA) def. Jessy Rompies (CU) 6-4, 6-3
- Mariana Gould(UGA) def. Daniela Ruiz (CU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
- #2 Beatrice Gumulya/Jessy Rompies (CU) vs. Lauren Herring/Ellen Perez (UGA) 3-5, unfinished
- Silvia Garcia/Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. Tristen Dewar/Romy Koelzer (CU) 6-1
- Caroline Brinson/Hannah King (UGA) def. Joana Eidukonyte/Daniela Ruiz (CU) 6-1