Jackson Harris of the Georgia football program and Emma Mandarino of the Bulldog equestrian team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Georgia, according to an announcement today from the SEC office in Birmingham.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2019 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 25.
Highlights of Georgia’s nominees include:
JACKSON HARRIS, Football, Georgia
Major: Mechanical Engineering
• Iron Dawg Award, 2015
• SEC Honor Roll, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018
• Student-Athlete of the game vs. Kentucky, 2018
• Top 10 Caterpillar Scholar Athlete
• UGA Football GPA Award for Highest GPA, 2016, 2017
• UGA Senior Scholar Award
• William V. Campbell Trophy Semifinalist
• UGAAA Academic Achievement Award
• J. Reid Parker Director of Athletics Honor Roll, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
• Dean’s List Honors 2015, 2018
• Harris played in 46 games, starting three, and lettered all four years at Georgia
• He played a key leadership role on the 2017 Bulldog squad that went 13-2, captured the SEC title, won the Rose Bowl Game and secured a spot in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game.
EMMA MANDARINO, Equestrian, Georgia
• Four-time Presidential Scholar (4.0 GPA)
• Three-time Dean’s List honoree (3.50 GPA), 2015, 2017, 2018
• Two- time NCEA First Team All-Academic, 2017, 2018
• Earned a Bernard Ramsey Scholarship for Academic and Athletic Excellence, awarded to the athletes with one of the top 10 GPAs in the athletic department.
• SEC Honor Roll member, 2016, 2017, 2018
• 3.88 GPA in Accounting
• Member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and inducted into the Leadership Academy
• NCEA Standout Student-Athlete of the Month (October 2017)
• SEC Rider of the Month (Equitation Over Fences, October 2017)
• Two-year team captain, 2017-18, 2018-19
• Won four Most Outstanding Performance (MOP) honors in Equitation Over Fences as a Bulldog.
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in late May.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were University of Tennessee football player Parker Henry and LSU volleyball player Kelly Quinn.