Junior Silvia Garcia and freshman Kennedy Shaffer got the Bulldogs off to a flying start in doubles as the No. 43 ranked duo recorded a near-perfect 8-1 win over Yvonne Hubler and Nicolin Luecke on court 2. The No. 11 ranked tandem of senior Lauren Herring and freshman Ellen Perez were then on hand to clinch the doubles point with an 8-2 victory over Mi’Kola Cooper and Angelica Sidorenko on court 1. Perez secured the winner with a powerful, crosscourt shot that left her opponents with no chance.[su_spacer size=”40″]
In singles, Garcia cruised to a quick, 6-1, 6-2 win over Cooper on court 3 to extend Georgia’s lead to 2-0. Perez then made it 3-0 with a 6-3, 6-2 win against Hubler on court 2, leaving it open for freshman Hannah King to clinch the overall match on court 5 with a 6-3, 6-2 win of her own against Valeria Koussenkova.
[su_spacer size=”20″] [su_spacer size=”20″] “It’s the NCAA tournament, we’re here at home, and it’s a blast,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. “I thought our doubles teams played well today. Ellen Perez also really stepped it up and played a great match. Silvia is another who is just a tough player and I think she has only lost one outdoor match all season. She’s playing really well. To clinch the match like we did at 4-0, I thought it was a great first round for us. Everybody was playing well and it was a great match all the way around.”
The Bulldogs will face No. 20 Duke (17-9) tomorrow at 1 p.m. for a chance to advance to the round of 16 in Waco, Texas, on May 15. Georgia is 12-12 against the Blue Devils in the all-time series.[su_spacer size=”20″] [su_spacer size=”20″]
Links to the live scoring and live video for tomorrow’s second round showdown can be found below. Printable and interactive NCAA Championships brackets are also available.[su_spacer size=”40″]
Women’s First Round: #7 Georgia (21-6) def. Charleston Southern (18-3), 4-0[su_spacer size=”20″] [su_spacer size=”20″]
Doubles (Order of finish: 2, 1)
1. #11 Lauren Herring/Ellen Perez (UGA) def. Mi’Kola Cooper/Angelica Sidorenko (CSU), 8-2
2. #43 Silvia Garcia/Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. Yvonne Hubler/Nicolin/Luecke (CSU), 8-1
3. #85 Caroline Brinson/Hannah King (UGA) vs. Sophie Cloessner/Marketa Placha (CSU), 4-4, unf.[su_spacer size=”40″]
Singles (Order of finish: 3, 2, 5)
1. #5 Lauren Herring (UGA) vs. Marketa Placha (CSU), 5-4, unf.
2. #63 Ellen Perez (UGA) def. Yvonne Hubler (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
3. #94 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Mi’Kola Cooper (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
4. #59 Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) vs. Sophie Cloessner (CSU), 6-0, 5-1, unf.
5. #88 Hannah King (UGA) def. Valeria Koussenkova (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
6. #104 Caroline Brinson (UGA) vs. Nicolin Luecke (CSU), 6-0, 4-1, unf.
[su_spacer size=”20″] [su_spacer size=”20″]