Everybody knows that Brock Vandagriff is marching Prince Avenue toward an elusive state championship. The son of the Wolverines’ Head Coach Greg Vandagriff, Brock will attempt to complete what I am sure is a fairy tale ending for their family and a win Friday would put them one step closer. However, Vandagriff has already inked his name to a letter of intent for Georgia. Today, I’m going to list players in the class of 2022 and 2023 that are major Georgia football recruiting priorities that are ring chasing tonight.
- Gunner Stockton – 5 Star Quarterback – Rabun County
- Yes, Stockton committed to South Carolina over Georgia. However, with Will Muschamp out, and more importantly Mike Bobo likely out. It wouldn’t be surprising if Stockton reopened his recruitment. Rest assured Georgia has not given up here. Stockton and company take on Callaway on the road this evening.
- Addison Nichols – 4 Star Offensive Tackle – Greater Atlanta Christian
- Kirby Smart wants to bring in 5 elite offensive linemen each and every year. Georgia currently has no offensive linemen committed in the 2022 class. Nichols is 6’5″, north of 300 pounds and is extremely intelligent, as well as talented on the gridiron. GAC takes on Oconee County this evening.
- Jake Johnson – 4 Star Tight End – Oconee County
- Speaking of the Oconee County Warrior, they have a premier pass catching tight end in Jake Johnson. The simple fact is, if Jake Johnson wanted to come to Georgia, he’d have a spot. However, if you watched the LSU win over Florida last week, you saw Jake’s brother make his college debut for the Tigers in their upset win. Despite playing in Georgia’s backyard basically, this one would be a longshot, even for a master recruiter the likes of Todd Hartley.
- Malaki Starks – 5 Star Athlete – Jefferson
- In my opinion, Malaki Starks is the most talented, most athletically gifted player in the state of Georgia in the class of 2022. I’ve had the pleasure of watching Starks play in person on several occasions and he’s more impressive each time. The versatility, the instincts, the physicality, and the explosiveness that Starks displays in jaw dropping. Georgia is in a 3 way battle with Clemson and Alabama for the commitment of Starks. Being so close to Athens and being such a unique talent, Starks is not someone that that the Dawgs can afford to miss out on. Starks leads his Jefferson Dragons against perennial power Benedictine in the semifinals tonight.
- Deyon Bouie – 5 Star Athlete – Bainbridge
- Most of everything I just said about Starks, you could copy and past under Bouie’s name and it be just as true. However, if comparing the two I’d give the edge to Starks simply because Bouie has had a torn ACL in his career. Bouie has recovered fully and tremendously though, and the speedy prospect from Kirby Smart’s alma mater is also already committed to the Dawgs. A true playmaker in every sense of the word, Bouie and the Bearcats will try to continue defend their State Championship from a year ago against Marist tonight.
- Vic Burley – 2023 Defensive End – Warner Robins
- Kirby Smart said on the 680 the Fan’s YouTube show yesterday wrapping up National Signing Day that you can’t teach or develop size. That’s something either the good Lord blesses young men with or He doesn’t. Vic Burley is blessed with size. The 6’4″, pushing 6’5″, 260 pound frame of Burley jumps out on film. Burley has great length, especially as only being a sophomore. Burley is part of a great program at Warner Robins, and he’ll be in action with his teammates tonight as they host Jones County.
- Aubrey Smith – Inside Linebacker – Buford
- Aubrey Smith got offered by Georgia before he had even started high school. The Buford inside linebacker is a consistent player. He holds offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, and a host of other Power 5 programs. Smith has made several visits to UGA prior to COVID. It certainly feels like it Glenn Schumann, Dan Lanning, and Kirby Smart want Smith to be a part of the 2022 class, he will be. The perennial, nationally renowned power house Buford Wolves will the team from Title Town, USA, the Valdosta Wildcats.
- Michael Daugherty – Cornerback – Grayson
- Starting as a freshman in any program is impressive, especially the state of Georgia. When it’s done at Grayson, well it’s just plain out an endorsement of how incredible of a football player the subject of that distinction is. Michael Daugherty, now a sophomore, did just that. Daugherty is a level headed, intrinsically motivated, immensely talented defensive back. Charlton Warren and the Georgia Bulldogs are doing everything within the rules possible to let Daugherty know he’s a priority. Daugherty will try to help Grayson reclaim their place at the top of the mountain in GHSA’s highest classification tonight when they take on Norcross in the semifinals.
- Lawson Luckie – Tight End – Norcross
- On the other side of the matchup with Grayson, as just mentioned, is Norcross. The Blue Devils have the son of a former Georgia Bulldog, and the nephew of two, in tight end Lawson Luckie. Yes, that family, the triplets. Lawson is forging his own path and has burst onto the scene this season. The modern day Luckie football player is certainly one that has Todd Hartley’s eye in the class of 2023. Luckie is a redzone threat and could even find himself matched up against Michael Daugherty some in coverage this evening.
So, as you can see, there is no shortage of talent and recruiting never stops. If you’re willing to brave the cold and COVID rules allow, head out and watch these talented prospects that Georgia is recruiting hard already tonight in the Final 4 round of the GHSA Football playoffs!