The seventh-ranked Georgia men’s tennis team punched its ticket to the NCAA Championship Round of 16 in Tulsa, Oklahoma with a 4-1 win over No. 35 Baylor Sunday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
With the victory, Georgia (22-4) advances to face 10th-ranked USC at 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m. CT on Friday in the Round of 16.
“I thought we were a little tight in doubles at the beginning,” head coach Manuel Diaz said. “Our guys competed well and were able to get through some things there early on, but what a tremendous performance overall. I remember myself as a player here your last home match is a little overwhelming, but I thought we were terrific in singles and played very well today.”
Seniors Austin Smith and Ben Wagland gave the Bulldogs an early boost in doubles with a 6-2 win on Court No. 1 vs. the 86th-ranked duo of Tommy Podvinski and Max Tchoutakian. Shortly after, Paul Oosterbaan and Jan Zielinski took the No. 2 court with a 6-4 decision to give the Bulldogs the doubles point.
Georgia faced a minor setback on Court No. 1 in singles when Smith was forced to retire due to an injury, but freshman Zielinski came out rolling at the No. 5 position to put the Bulldogs back on top, with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Tommy Podvinski — the first NCAA Tournament win for the UGA freshman.
Senior Nick Wood kept the momentum rolling shortly after with a 6-2, 6-1 win at the sixth position against Baylor’s Tyler Stayer. Oosterbaan put the finishing touches on the match with a clinching 6-1, 6-2 win at the No. 3 court, using his big serve to ensure the victory.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS
For more information on the Georgia men’s tennis team, follow the team on Twitter (@UGATennis), Instagram (@ugatennis) and Facebook (UGA Men’s Tennis).
NCAA MEN’S TENNIS TOURNAMENT
REGIONALS – ROUND 2 – RESULTS
Dan Magill Tennis Complex
May 15, 2016 – Athens, GA
No. 7 Georgia defeats No. 35 Baylor (4-1)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,5,3,6)
Official: Richard Rogers T-1:55 A-841
1. #12 Julian Lenz (BU) def. #17 Austin Smith (UGA) 6-2, 1-0, retired
2. #32 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) vs. #94 Max Tchoutakian (BU) 3-6, 4-4, unfinished
3. #64 Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) def. Felipe Rios (BU) 6-1, 6-2
4. #123 Walker Duncan (UGA) vs. Jimmy Bendeck (BU) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
5. Jan Zielinski (UGA) def. Tommy Podvinski (BU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Nick Wood (UGA) def. Tyler Stayer (BU) 6-2, 6-1
1. #11 Austin Smith/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. #86 Max Tchoutakian/Tommy Podvinski (BU) 6-2
2. Paul Oosterbaan/Jan Zielinski (UGA) def. Felipe Rios/Jimmy Bendeck (BU) 6-4
3. Wayne Montgomery/Emil Reinberg (UGA) vs. Julian Lenz/Tyler Stayer (BU) 5-4, unfinished