The seventh-ranked Georgia men’s tennis team used a dominant performance Saturday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex to take down South Carolina State, 4-0, and advance to the second round of the 2016 NCAA Championships.
Georgia improves to 21-4 on the season, while South Carolina State falls to 12-9. The Bulldogs return to action Sunday at 1 p.m. ET with a match against No. 35 Baylor with a trip to the NCAA Round of 16 on the line.
“I thought we were a little bit rusty in doubles, but we came out pretty energized, which was the difference,” head coach Manuel Diaz said. “In singles, Wayne Montgomery played a terrific match. Nick Wood and Emil Reinberg both did a tremendous job to close it out quickly. All of the matches were competitive today. South Carolina State has a very good team. They deserve to be here, and they played us tight just about everywhere.”
Paul Oosterbaan and Jan Zielinski got things rolling with a 6-2 win on the No. 2 doubles court. 11th-ranked Austin Smith and Ben Wagland followed suit with a 6-3 decision at the No. 1 position, giving Georgia the doubles point.
Senior Nick Wood put the Bulldogs up 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over South Carolina State’s Alexander Stupar on the No. 5 court. Sophomore Wayne Montgomery finished shortly after with a 6-1, 6-3 win at the No. 1 position against South Carolina State’s Martin Figura.
“It feels good,” Montgomery said. “In doubles, I thought we had a hard time getting after them, but we did a great job in singles. I feel like we have put in the work over the last couple of weeks – I think we are confident and everyone is playing well.”
At the No. 6 court, freshman Emil Reinberg delivered the match clincher with a 6-1, 6-1 win against Edgar Diaz. The match clincher marked the fifth of the season for the Atlanta, Georgia native.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS
For more information on the Georgia men’s tennis team, follow the team on Twitter (@UGATennis), Instagram (@ugatennis) and Facebook (UGA Men’s Tennis).
NCAA MEN’S TENNIS TOURNAMENT
REGIONALS – ROUND 1 – RESULTS
Dan Magill Tennis Complex
May 14, 2016 – Athens, GA
No. 7 Georgia defeats South Carolina State (4-0)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,1,6)
Official: Richard Rogers T-1:45
1. #17 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. Martin Figura (SCSUM) 6-1, 6-3
2. #32 Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) vs. Vladyslav Yanchenko (SCSUM) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
3. #64 Walker Duncan (UGA) vs. Jakub Vitek (SCSUM) 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
4. #123 Jan Zielinski (UGA) vs. Stanislav Baco (SCSUM) 6-6, unfinished
5. Nick Wood (UGA) def. Aleksander Stupar (SCSUM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Emil Reinberg (UGA) def. Edgar Diaz (SCSUM) 6-1, 6-1
1. #11 Austin Smith/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Martin Figura/Jakub Vitek (SCSUM) 6-4
2. Paul Oosterbaan/Jan Zielinski (UGA) def. Vladyslav Yanchenko/Salih Gilmutdinov (SCSUM) 6-2
3. Wayne Montgomery/Emil Reinberg (UGA) vs. Stanislav Baco/Edgar Diaz (SCSUM) 4-4, unfinished