The 10th-ranked Georgia men’s tennis team were upset by 13th-ranked Baylor, 4-2, on Sunday in the ITA National Indoor Championships’ consolation draw match played at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The Bulldogs drop to 3-5 overall on the season, while Baylor improves to 8-1.
“Our guys competed really hard today, but Baylor just outplayed us at a few matches,” head coach Manuel Diaz said. “I thought Walker Duncan and Robert Loeb did a really nice job today and thought we competed really well at No. 1. We just have to be a little more consistent. Our guys our playing hard and we are going to come out of this and get ready for tomorrow.”
Georgia got off to a strong start with a win at the No. 1 doubles court, where Jan Zielinski and Robert Loeb defeated Baylor’s Max Tchoutakian and Johannes Schretter, 6-2. The Bulldogs were unable to capitalize, however; taking a pair of 6-4 losses at No. 2 and 3.
Two Bulldog freshmen — Nathan Ponwith and Loeb — started singles play by splitting at the third and sixth courts. Ponwith fell to Baylor’s Schretter, 6-4, 6-2, before Loeb responded with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over the Bears’ Constantin Frantzen at No. 6.
Duncan made it two-straight wins for Georgia as he battled past Will Little, 7-6, 6-3 at the fifth position. Baylor bounced then bounced back, using a 6-3, 7-6 win from 57th-ranked Tchoutakian over 55th-ranked Reinberg at the second court to take a 3-2 lead.
No. 54 Benitez then delivered the match-clincher for Baylor with a 6-7, 6-0, 6-3 triumph over Georgia’s 15th-ranked Montgomery.
1. Jan Zielinski/Robert Loeb (Georgia) def. Max Tchoutakian/Johannes Schretter (Baylor), 6-2
2. Juan Benitez/Constantin Frantzen (Baylor) def. Emil Reinberg/Walker Duncan (Georgia), 6-4
3. Jimmy Bendeck/Will Little (Baylor) def. Nathan Ponwith/Wayne Montgomery (Georgia), 6-4
1. #54 Benitez (Baylor) def. #15 Montgomery (Georgia), 6-7, 6-0, 6-3
2. #57 Tchoutakian (Baylor) def. #55 Reinberg (Georgia), 6-3, 7-6
3. Schretter (Baylor) def. #117 Ponwith (Georgia), 6-4, 6-2
4. Zielinski (Georgia) vs. Bendeck (Baylor), 4-6, 7-6, 1-2, unfinished
5. Duncan (Georgia) def. Little (Baylor), 7-6, 6-3
6. Loeb (Georgia) def. Constantin Frantzen (Georgia), 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (3, 6, 5, 2, 1)