The No. 16 Georgia men’s tennis team (5-3) defended its home courts in its outdoor season opener on Sunday, winning the doubles point and five singles matches en route to a 6-1 victory over East Tennessee State (3-5) at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
“I thought our guys had a good week of practice and really came out prepared,” head coach Manuel Diaz said. “I thought that ETSU played a very good match. They’re deep and they’re well coached. Our guys could’ve played better, but it’s our first outdoor match so I thought that we had a great day overall out there.”
In doubles, Georgia was led by its fifth-ranked tandem of Ben Wagland and Austin Smith. The pair quickly dispatched the Buccaneers’ Ismael Merino and Diego Nunez 6-2 to give the Bulldogs the advantage. After falling 6-3 on court No. 2, Georgia rebounded to take the doubles point at No. 3.Wayne Montgomery and Emil Reinberg fell behind 3-0 early in the match before winning six of the final seven games to top ETSU’s Sebastian Yllera and Robert Herrera 6-4.
The Bulldogs picked up where they left off in singles, winning five of six first sets led by a trio of freshmen. Jan Zielisnki and Walker Duncan picked up Georgia’s first two victories in succession at Nos. 3 and 5, respectively. Zielinski was first off with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Nunez while No. 104 Duncan quickly followed with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Herrera. Reinberg, another freshman, provided the clinch for Georgia with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Merino.
Georgia picked up its final two points of the afternoon in third-set super tiebreakers victories at Nos. 4 and 2. Nick Wood gave the Bulldogs the 5-1 advantage with a 5-7, 7-5, 1-0(10-8) and Oosterbaan capped the day with a 6-4, 5-7, 1-0(10-8) victory.
Georgia will open Southeastern Conference play next weekend at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. The Bulldogs will face Mississippi State on Friday at 2:30 p.m. followed by Alabama on Sunday at 1 p.m.
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS
For more information on the Georgia men’s tennis team, follow the team on Twitter (@UGATennis), Instagram (@ugatennis) and Facebook (UGA Men’s Tennis).
Tennis Match Results
East Tennessee State vs Georgia
Feb 28, 2016 at Athens, Ga.
(Dan Magill Tennis Complex)
#16 Georgia DEFEATS East Tennessee State (6-1)
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. #21 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-7)
2. Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) def. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Jan Zielinski (UGA) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Nick Wood (UGA) def. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
5. #104 Walker Duncan (UGA) def. Robert Herrera (ETSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Emil Reinberg (UGA) def. Ismael Merino (ETSU) 6-3, 7-5
1. #5 Ben Wagland/Austin Smith (UGA) def. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-2
2. Rogerio Ribeiro/David Biosca (ETSU) def. Paul Oosterbaan/Jan Zielinski (UGA) 6-3
3. Wayne Montgomery/Emil Reinberg (UGA) def. Sebastian Yllera/Robert Herrera (ETSU) 6-4
East Tennessee State 3-5
Georgia 5-3; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,5,6,1,4,2)
Official: Clark Weaver A-357