In its first match at the newly-renovated Henry Feild Stadium, the University of Georgia men’s tennis team defeated the Mercer Bears, 7-0, Tuesday afternoon.
Not only did it serve as the inaugural contest at the updated stadium, but the win also gave head coach Manuel Diaz his 705th career triumph. Diaz is now just two victories shy of breaking the Southeastern Conference record set by legendary Georgia coach Dan Magill.
The Bulldogs won Tuesday’s matchup with two freshmen and a pair of sophomores at the top four singles spots. Seniors Robert Loeb and Alex Phillips also recorded impressive wins at courts five and six.
“Today was great,” Diaz said. “Our guys have been looking forward to playing at this new facility. It seems like just a few months ago we were looking at a pile of dirt, and now to see what it has become just blows you away. So it was a good opportunity for our team, not only to play here, but to get back on the court these past two days after a few weeks of training.”
Georgia made quick work of the Owls in doubles, taking wins at the first and third positions. Philip Henning and Baptiste Anselmo played together for the first time this season and made the most of their first appearance together. The duo ousted Carver Arant and Lucas Wayenburg, 6-1.
The Bulldogs’ No. 1 tandem of Trent Bryde and Tyler Zink then clinched the point with a 6-1 victory to improve to 5-1 this year at the top doubles spot.
Senior Robert Loeb helped the Bulldogs get off to a fast start in singles, leading with a 6-1, 6-2 win at court No. 5. Grevelius then put Georgia up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-1 victory.
Anselmo, a freshman from Aix-en Provence, France, then clinched the match and improved to a perfect 3-0 in dual-match play this season with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph.
Next up Georgia hosts nationally-ranked foes Tennessee and Ohio State this Friday and Sunday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. Friday’s contest against the Volunteers begins at 2:30 p.m. ET.
Tennis Match Results
Mercer vs Georgia
Feb. 25, 2020 at Athens, Ga.
(Dan Magill Tennis Complex)
#31 Georgia 7, Mercer 0
1. #26 Philip Henning (UGA) def. Olivier Stuart (MER) 6-4, 6-2
2. #22 Trent Bryde (UGA) def. Hugo Lobo (MER) 6-3, 6-2
3. Erik Grevelius (UGA) def. Stathis Tsiranidis (MER) 6-2, 6-1
4. Baptiste Anselmo (UGA) def. Lucas Wayenburg (MER) 6-4, 6-2
5. Robert Loeb (UGA) def. Carver Arant (MER) 6-1, 6-2
6. Alex Phillips (UGA) def. David Georgadze (MER) 6-4, 6-4
1. Trent Bryde/Tyler Zink (UGA) def. Olivier Stuart/Hugo Lobo (MER) 6-1
2. Robert Loeb/Erik Grevelius (UGA) def. David Georgadze/Stathis Tsiranidis (MER) 4-2
3. Philip Henning/Baptiste Anselmo (UGA) def. Carver Arant/Lucas Wayenburg (MER) 6-1
Georgia 5-2; National ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,3,4,2,1,6)