Cold temperatures on Monday that never climbed out of the lower 40s on the thermometer forced the No. 19-ranked Georgia men’s tennis team into the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Center in their match versus Kennesaw State Owls. But despite the change of venue, the Bulldogs prevailed 8-1 over the Owls.
UGA improves to 1-0 in dual-match play ahead of this weekend’s ITA Kick-Off in Starkville, Miss. Georgia clinched Monday’s contest at 4-0 and added extra singles matchups to put the final tally at 8-1.
“We played really well up and down the lineup today,” head coach Manuel Diaz said. “Kennesaw State is a much-improved team from last year and made us work hard. I thought our guys came out with great energy and intensity. This is a great group of guys. They make it a lot of fun, and I feel like they are getting better every single day.”
Georgia made quick work of the Owls in doubles, taking wins at each of the four courts. The freshman/sophomore combo of Tyler Zink and Trent Bryde led things off with a 6-2 victory, before Robert Loeb and Erik Grevelius clinched the point with a 6-1 triumph.
The Bulldogs’ 17th-ranked tandem of Blake Croyder and Philip Henning won their team-best 10th match of the year with a 6-3 victory against Harvey Maughan and Kevin Patel. Sam Dromky and Baptiste Anselmo, who played together for the first time in their careers, won 6-2.
In singles, Henning and Zink continued their impressive starts to the season. The 12th-ranked Henning downed Sergio Ingles, 6-2, 6-0, before Zink improved to 5-1 overall with a 6-2, 6-4 victory.
Grevelius tallied his ninth-straight win of the season and improved his team-best record to 16-5 with a match-clinching, 6-1, 6-4, win on court four.
No. 57-ranked Bryde won his third consecutive contest of the year, 6-3, 4-6, 6-0. Bryde, who defeated No. 13-ranked Christian Sigsgaard last weekend in Miami, played at the No. 1 singles court for Georgia on Monday.
Next up for the men, a battle of the Bulldogs in Starkville Georgia hits the road to take on Mississippi State at 2:00 p.m. ET (1:00 p.m. CT) this coming Saturday on January 25th.
Match Results for Georgia vs. Kennesaw State
1. #57 Trent Bryde (UGA) def. Bryan Triana (Kenn State), 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
2. Tyler Zink (UGA) def. Sebastian Osorio (Kenn State), 6-2, 6-4
3. #12 Philip Henning (UGA) def. Sergio Ingles (Kenn State), 6-2, 6-0
4. Erik Grevelius (UGA) def. Kevin Patel (Kenn State), 6-1, 6-4
5. Robert Loeb (UGA) def. Seru Tezuka (Kenn State), 6-0, 6-1
6. #88 Blake Croyder (UGA) def. Harvey Maughan (Kenn State), 6-2, 6-2
7. Baptiste Anselmo (UGA) def. Mritunjay Badola (Kenn State), 6-1, 6-4
8. Harvey Conway (Kenn State) def. Sam Dromsky (UGA), 6-4, 7-6 (7)
1. Trent Bryde/Tyler Zink (UGA) def. Gaston Muhammad/Sergio Ingles (Kenn State), 6-2
2. #17 Philip Henning/Blake Croyder (UGA) def. Harvey Maughan/Kevin Patel (Kenn State), 6-3
3. Robert Loeb/Erik Grevelius (UGA) def. Sebastian Osorio/Bryan Triana (Kenn State), 6-1
4. Sam Dromsky/Baptiste Anselmo (UGA) def. Drew Lahey/Mritunjay Badola (Kenn State), 6-2