UGA vs LSU Women’s Tennis: The fourth-ranked Georgia women’s tennis team (16-2, 9-1) cruised to a 4-0 lead in Baton Rouge to clinch a win before No. 16 LSU battled for a 5-2 final score in Baton Rouge on Friday night.
Silvia Garcia, Kennedy Shaffer and Laura Patterson all claimed two wins on the night, with Garcia and Shaffer first earning the doubles point clincher before earning their respective singles wins. Patterson, meanwhile, took the long route in earning her singles victory with a dramatic 13-11 tiebreak victory in the third set.
The Bulldogs got off to a strong start in doubles, continuing to build on their momentum from last weekend. Georgia won the two matches that were played to completion, first on the No. 3 court and Patterson and Caroline Brinson. The pair’s 6-2 win was the third win in three tries this spring for the duo. The 80th-ranked pair of Garcia and Shaffer then got its first win of the spring, 6-3, to clinch the doubles point.
Sixth-ranked Ellen Perez improved to 9-0 in SEC play with a commanding 6-4, 6-0 win over LSU’s No. 20 Joana Vale Costa to give Georgia a 2-0 lead in the match. No. 51 Shaffer followed suit, earning an impressive ranked win over 59th-ranked Jessica Golovin by a 6-3, 6-2 tally on the No. 2 court.
No. 92 Garcia then clinched the match for Georgia, finishing off the home squad with a 6-1, 6-3 win on the third court over Ryann Foster to give the Bulldogs their third-straight win.
The teams played out all remaining matches, and LSU got on the board with a two-set win on the fifth court. Brinson and Patterson then each went to a super tiebreak, with Brinson falling 10-5 but Patterson claiming a hard-fought victory, 13-11.
Georgia will next head to College Station, Texas for a contest with Texas A&M, scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday.
No. 4 Georgia defeats No. 16 LSU (5-2)
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,2,3,5,4,6)
1. Perez/Gould (UGA) vs. Vale Costa/Golovin (LSU), 5-3, unfinished
2. #80 Garcia/Shaffer (UGA) def. Foster/Owens (LSU), 6-3
3. Brinson/Patterson (UGA) def. Kuykendall/Holloway (LSU), 6-2
1. #6 Ellen Perez (UGA) def. #20 Joana Vale Costa (LSU), 6-4, 6-0
2. #51 Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. #59 Jessica Golovin (LSU), 6-3, 6-2
3. #92 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Ryann Foster (LSU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. #27 Carolina Brinson (UGA), 2-6, 6-4, 1-0(10-5)
5. Abby Owens (LSU) def. Mariana Gould (UGA), 7-5, 6-2
6. Laura Patterson (UGA) def. Ella Taylor (LSU), 7-5, 2-6, 1-0(13-11)