The fourth-ranked Georgia women’s tennis team (6-1) extended its win streak over in-state rival Georgia Tech to six with a 4-1 victory at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex on Saturday afternoon in Atlanta.
The match was clinched by 23rd-ranked Caroline Brinson, who battled after dropping the first set to claim a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over No. 56 Rasheeda McAdoo. Brinson also won her doubles match along side senior Silvia Garcia to extend the pair’s win streak to five matches.
“This was a well played match by both teams,” said Georgia head coachJeff Wallace. “Five three-setters in singles. Our players were really tough in big situations. Caroline (Brinson) did a great job after dropping the first set to come back and get the win and clinch the match.”
— Georgia W Tennis (@UGAWomensTennis) February 20, 2016
The Bulldogs claimed the doubles point, using victories from the 33rd-ranked pair of Silvia Garcia andCaroline Brinson on the second court and Laura Patterson and Kennedy Shaffer on the third court to jump out to a quick 1-0 lead.
The match drew even at one as the Yellow Jackets got an upset win on the No. 1 court, with No. 61 Johnnise Renaud topping 12th-ranked Ellen Perez 6-0, 4-6, 6-4. Georgia responded immediately, taking wins on the No. 3 and No. 6 courts from No. 76 Kennedy Shaffer and Laura Patterson, with Shaffer finishing a come-from-behind three-set victory and Patterson taking her contest in straight sets. Shaffer is now 7-0 on the season, the only Bulldog with a singles win in each match.
Brinson finished it off for the Bulldogs with a three-set win over McAdoo by a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 score on the second court.
The Bulldogs will next head to Mississippi for weekend tilts against Ole Miss and Mississippi State. For all the latest on Georgia women’s tennis, follow the team on Twitter (@UGAWomensTennis), Instagram (@ugawomenstennis) and on Facebook (Georgia Women’s Tennis), and keep checking in to georgiadogs.com.
No. 4 Georgia 4, No. 24 Georgia Tech 1
- #61 Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. #12 Ellen Perez (UGA) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
- #23 Caroline Brinson (UGA) def. #56 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
- #76 Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. Kendal Woodard (GT) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
- #71 Silvia Garcia (UGA) vs. Paige Hourigan (GT) 5-7, 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
- Mariana Gould (UGA) vs. Alexis Prokopuik (GT) 7-5, 4-6, 2-3, unfinished
- Laura Patterson (UGA) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-4, 7-6(7-2)
- #34 Ellen Perez/Mariana Gould (UGA) vs. #58 Kendal Woodard/Paige Hourigan (GT) 3-5, unfinished
- #33 Caroline Brinson/Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (GT) 6-3
- Kennedy Shaffer/Laura Patterson (UGA) def. Alexis Prokopuik/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles: (2,3) Singles: (1,3,6,2)