The No. 3 Georgia women’s tennis team improved to 12-0 in conference play after defeating No. 17 Auburn 4-2 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex Saturday afternoon.
The Bulldogs are now 16-1 overall and have a record of 8-1 against top-25 teams this season.
Georgia dropped their second doubles point of the season after No. 3 Katarina Jokic and Ariana Arseneault were defeated by Georgie Axon and Adeline Flach 6-2 on court one, and Elena Christofi and Morgan Coppoc fell in a tiebreaker set on court two to Selin Ovunc and Carolyn Ansari, 7-6(5). The duo of Meg Kowalski and Lea Ma was the Bulldogs’ lone win, defeating Yu Chen and Anastasia Astakhova 6-3.
Coming down to singles, No. 59 Ma continued her dominating stretch defeating No. 100 Chen 6-4, 6-2 on court two. No. 12 Kowalski suffered only her second dual match loss of her career, falling to Ansari on court three 6-1, 6-4, but No. 61 Coppoc kept the momentum shifting towards the Dawgs with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Axon on court four. No. 1 Jokic went up against No. 62 Ovunc on court one and took her down 6-4, 6-4 with only two courts remaining. With both Bulldogs winning their first set, Christofi would clinch the match for Georgia winning 6-3, 6-2 over Astakhova on court six. No. 92 Gonzalez went unfinished up 6-2, 5-2 on court five.
The Bulldogs will begin to prepare for the SEC Tournament in Tuscaloosa, Ala., set from Monday, April 19 through Friday, April 23. Times and a bracket will be announced at a later date by the conference.
1. Georgie Axon/Adeline Flach (AU) def. #3 Katarina Jokic/Ariana Arseneault (UGA) 6-2
2. Selin Ovunc/Carolyn Ansari (AU) def. Elena Christofi/Morgan Coppoc (UGA) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Lea Ma/Meg Kowalski (UGA) def. Yu Chen/Anastasia Astakhova (AU) 6-3
1. #1 Katarina Jokic (UGA) def. #62 Selin Ovunc (AU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #59 Lea Ma (UGA) def. #100 Yu Chen (AU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Carolyn Ansari (AU) def. #12 Meg Kowalski (UGA) 6-1, 6-4
4. #61 Morgan Coppoc (UGA) def. Georgie Axon (AU) 6-4, 6-3
5. #92 Marta Gonzalez (UGA) vs. Adeline Flach (AU) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
6. Elena Christofi (UGA) def. Anastasia Astakhova (AU) 6-3, 6-2