UGA will play host to the ITA Southeast Regional Championships at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex, from Thursday, October 19th through Monday, October 23rd. The event begins with qualifying today (Thursday) with eight spots in the singles main draw available along with three in doubles. All of Georgia’s entries are in the main draw that begins Friday.
Georgia’s top singles performers this fall have been sophomore Marta Gonzalez and freshman Katarina Jokic who are 12-2 while the duo with the best doubles mark is Jokic and senior Mariana Gould at 7-1. Georgia’s highest ranked doubles team of sophomore Elena Christofi and freshman Morgan Coppoc is 7-4 including 5-1 against ranked opponents. By reaching the consolation finals at the Riviera/ITA All-American event earlier this fall, they have already qualified for the Oracle ITA National Fall Championships and thus will not be competing as a team this weekend.
Admission is free and action gets underway each day at 9:00 a.m. ET with the exception of Sunday when play will commence at 10:00 a.m. ET.
Here are details regarding the tournament:
· What: ITA Southeast Regional Championships
· Who: Athletes from 18 different schools will be competing in individual singles and doubles tournament.
· When: Thursday – Monday, Oct. 19-23
· Where: Dan Magill Tennis Complex, Athens, Ga.
· Parking: Please utilize the parking decks, the closest to the tennis complex is the Carlton Street Deck on Smith Street.
· Tickets: Admission is free
On the Line
· Singles and doubles champions from each of the ITA Division I Regional Championships held across the country receive an automatic entry into the 2017 Oracle ITA National Fall Championships.
· The 2017 Oracle ITA National Fall Championships, considered the second leg of the collegiate Grand Slam, will be held Nov. 1-5 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, California.
Follow the Action
· Results from all completed matches will be posted to georgiadogs.com. There will be no live scoring or streaming.
· Qualifying Draws will be released Wednesday; Main Draws late Thursday.
· All matches in the Qualifying Draws will be held on Thursday, with eight singles players and three doubles teams feeding into the Main Draw.
· This year the qualifying portion features a 32-player Singles Draw a 6-team Doubles Draw
· There will not be a Qualifying Consolation
· The Main Draw features a 64-player singles Draw and a 32-team Doubles Draw
· Consolation Singles Draw For 1st Round losers & another one for 2nd Round losers; Consolation Doubles for 1st Round losers
· Thu., Oct. 19: Qualifying Draw – 2 rounds of Singles; 1 rounds of Doubles – 9 a.m. start
· Fri., Oct. 20: Main Draw – 1 round of Doubles; 2 rounds of Singles – 9 a.m. start
· Sat., Oct. 21: Main Draw and Consolation – 9 a.m. start
· Sun., Oct. 22: Main Draw and Consolation – 10 a.m. start
· Mon., Oct. 23: Doubles Main & Consolation Final, Singles Main & Consolation Final – 9 a.m. start
Format & Scoring
· No-ad scoring will be used in all ITA singles and doubles matches.
· Singles will be 2-out-of-3 sets except Consolation which will play 10-point Match Tiebreak in lieu of a 3rd set.
· In all ITA Regional Championship events a doubles match must consist of a minimum of an 8-game pro set (tiebreak at 7-all), with the semifinals and finals doubles matches consisting of 2-out-of-3 sets, with a 10-point Match Tiebreak in lieu of a 3rd set.
18 Schools Comprise the ITA Southeast Region
· Central Florida, University of (UCF)
· Florida A&M University (FAMU)
· Florida Atlantic University (FAU)
· Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU)
· Florida International University (FIU)
· Florida State University (FSU)
· Florida, University of (UF)
· Georgia Southern University (GSO)
· Georgia State University (GST)
· Georgia Tech (GT)
· Georgia, University of (UGA)
· Kennesaw State University (KSU)
· Mercer University (MU)
· Miami, University of (UM)
· North Florida, Univ. of (UNF)
· Savannah State University (SSU)
· South Florida, Univ. of (USF)
· Stetson University (SU)