The loss sees the Bulldogs drop to 2-1 in the SEC and 9-4 overall, while the Crimson Tide improves to 2-1 in the league and 10-2 on the season.
“This was an epic SEC battle,” said Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace. “Alabama had a great college tennis environment. I thought our team did a good job all the way through. We just missed a few opportunities.”
The No. 16 duo of junior Silvia Garcia and freshman Kennedy Shaffer gave Georgia a bright start in doubles play with an 8-4 win on court 2 that improved the pair to 8-3 on the season and gave the Bulldogs an early advantage.
The freshman duo of Hannah King and Mariana Gould, playing together for the first time this spring, were unable to clinch the doubles point for Georgia as they fell 8-5 on court 3 to bring Alabama level at 1-1.
With the doubles point hanging in the balance, the Bulldogs’ No. 25 team of senior Lauren Herring and freshman Ellen Perez lost a hard-fought, 8-7 match to the nation’s No. 9 ranked tandem of Erin Routliffe and Maya Jansen in a 7-5 tiebreaker.
In singles play, Alabama drew first blood with a 6-2, 6-4 win on court 2 to go up 2-0. The Crimson Tide then put itself in clinching position with a narrow 7-6 (4), 7-5 win on court 1 to go up 3-0.
Georgia managed to rally, though, pulling within one point courtesy of No. 66 H. King’s 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 win on court 5 and No. 97 Garcia’s 6-4, 5-7, 6-3 victory on court 4.
In the end, the Bulldogs’ comeback attempt fell just short as the Crimson Tide pulled through with the clinching 7-4 tiebreaker in a 7-6 victory on court 3. Alabama also won at court 6 to extend the final margin of victory to 5-2.
Although the loss marks the second-consecutive regular season match in which Georgia has fallen to Alabama, the Bulldogs still hold a 40-4 all-time advantage over their SEC foe.
The Bulldogs will remain on the road for their next match at Auburn on Sunday at 2 p.m. Georgia defeated the Tigers 4-0 at home during the ITA Kick-Off Weekend earlier this season. Live stats for the match will be available here at match time.
- #35 Erin Routliffe (UA) def. #6 Lauren Herring (UGA) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
- #64 Danielle Spielmann (UA) def. #74 Ellen Perez (UGA) 6-2, 6-4
- #56 Maya Jansen (UA) def. #69 Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4)
- #97 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Emily Zabor (UA) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
- #66 Hannah King (UGA) def. Natalia Maynetto (UA) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
- Luicelena Perez (UA) def. #107 Caroline Brinson (UGA) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
- #9 Erin Routliffe/Maya Jansen (UA) def. #25 Lauren Herring/Ellen Perez (UGA) 8-7 (7-5)
- #16 Silvia Garcia/Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. Emily Zabor/Natalia Maynetto (UA) 8-4
- Danielle Spielmann/Luicelena Perez (UA) def. #55 Hannah King/Mariana Gould (UGA) 8-5