The win is the Bulldogs’ tenth of the season and moves them to a 10-4 overall record and a 3-1 mark in the SEC. It also gives Georgia a 52-6 advantage in the all-time series over the Tigers.
Singles wins by junior Silvia Garcia and freshmen Kennedy Shaffer and Mariana Gould set the stage for sophomore Caroline Brinson to clinch the match for the Bulldogs with a 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory on court 6. Matches for freshmen Ellen Perez on court 1 and Hannah King on court 5 went unfinished.
Georgia narrowly lost the doubles point to the Tigers after the No. 25 ranked duo of senior Lauren Herring and Perez fell 8-7(6) in a tiebreaker to Auburn’s No. 9 ranked doubles team of Pleun Burgmans and Emily Flickinger. Prior to that, the Bulldogs’ No. 16 combo of Garcia and Shaffer had given Georgia hope with an 8-6 win on court 2 that evened the doubles point.
In singles play, the Bulldogs featured a previously unseen lineup and quickly restored parity to the contest via Shaffer’s 6-3, 6-4 win on court 2. Garcia then gave Georgia the lead with a 6-4, 6-4 victory on court 3, before Gould made it 3-1 with a 0-6, 6-2, 6-2 win from court 4. That left things open for Brinson to clinch the match with the win on 6.
Georgia will now return home for its next pair of SEC matches, as it plays host to Kentucky at 3 p.m. on Friday and Vanderbilt at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
- #55 Pleun Burgmans (AU) vs. #74 Ellen Perez (UGA) 6-4, 6-6, unfinished
- #69 Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. Andie Dikosavljevic (AU) 6-3, 6-4
- #97 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Emily Flickinger (AU) 6-4, 6-4
- #107 Mariana Gould (UGA) def. Paula de Man (AU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Reka Muller (AU) vs. #66 Hannah King (UGA) 1-6, 6-4, 3-3, unfinished
- #111 Caroline Brinson (UGA) def. Jen Pfeifler (AU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
- #8 Pleun Burgmans/Emily Flickinger (AU) def. #25 Lauren Herring/Ellen Perez (UGA) 8-7 (8-6)
- #16 Silvia Garcia/Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. Reka Muller/Jen Pfeifler (AU) 8-6
- Michala Kucharova/Paula de Man (AU) def. Mariana Gould/Hannah King (UGA) 8-4
Order of Finish: Singles (2,3,4,6) Doubles (3,2,1)