Georgia men’s basketball senior Brandon Young has been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Georgia.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes. The Southeastern Conference will name the 2017 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 27. Chantal Van Landeghem of the UGA women’s swimming and diving team has also been nominated for the post-graduate scholarship.
Highlights of the UGA men’s nominee:
Brandon Young, Men’s Basketball
• Recipient of the 2016 Joel Eaves Scholar-Athlete Award as the male UGA student-athlete in all sports entering his senior year with the highest cumulative GPA
• Named to the NABC 2016 Honors Court, the only Division I player in the state of Georgia to receive the honor
• Four-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll
• Recipient of the team’s “Most Inspirational Award” following both the 2015 and 2016 seasons, as voted on by coaches and teammates
• Originally a walk-on who earned a scholarship for his junior and senior seasons
• Played in 31 career games, including starting on “Senior Day” against Auburn on March 1, 2017
• Played on four teams that reached postseason competition, including the 2015 NCAA Tournament
• Member of the second-winningest class of players in Georgia Basketball history
• One of 12 Bulldogs ever to play on three 20-win teams
• Two-sport prep standout at the Marist School where he helped lead Marist to the quarterfinals of the state tournaments in basketball in 2012 and 2013 and in football in 2012
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were Forrest Gamble of the Ole Miss men’s golf team and Haylie McCleney of the Alabama softball team.