[su_spacer size=”20″] With two weeks until the 2015 Charles Johnson Foundation Sports Academy & Community Weekend, there are still slots open for kids in grades 1-12 to register. The annual event is free of charge and takes place on June 19-20 in Hawkinsville, GA.
This is the flagship event of Hawkinsville native and NFL star Charles Johnson’s foundation, and includes clinics in football, basketball, dance, tennis and cheer with instruction from a combination of Johnson’s friends in the NFL and NBA and community leaders.
There will be a Community Night on Friday where all of Middle Georgia can gather to celebrate. The evening includes the 2015 Charles Johnson Foundation $20,000 college scholarship presentation to two Hawkinsville High School senior student-athletes, as well as performances by a variety of community groups. Youth attendees are encouraged to bring towels to Community Night, as there will be water activities. Students on the A/B Honor Roll should bring a copy of their most recent report card to the Sports Academy between 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Friday to register for a prize and recognition during Community Night.
The foundation values the community, volunteers and dedicated sponsors who help keep this event free of charge for more than 1,200 kids annually. The Charles Johnson Foundation is proud to announce the following sponsors for the 2015 event:
- Platinum: Title Sponsor of Football Clinic – Qixie 103.9
- Platinum: Title Sponsor of Basketball Clinic – LI.F.E. League
- Gold: Title Sponsor Cheer Clinic – Abell Images/Paul Abell Photographer
- Gold: Title Sponsor Tennis Clinic – Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Gold: Title Sponsor Dance Clinic – Target Group
- Silver: Dairy Queen, Innovative Therapy Concepts, IFSIP.me, GoPro
- Bronze: Wendys, Ace Hardware, Walgreens
- General: AB’s Bar-B-Que, Papa’s Pizza To Go, Oh Yeah! Inflatables, Harveys Supermarket, SunMark Community Bank
The full schedule for the 2015 Sports Academy & Community Weekend is as follows:
Friday, June 19
Basketball Clinic: 1-3 p.m. 1st-6th graders; 3-5 p.m. 7th-12th graders
Dance Clinic: 1-3 p.m. 1st -6th graders
Middle Georgia Community Night: 5-8 p.m.
Saturday, June 20
Football Clinic: 10 a.m.-12 p.m. 1st-6th graders; 12-2:30p.m. 7th-12th graders
Tennis Clinic: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. 1st-12th graders
Cheer Clinic: 12-2:30 p.m. 1st-6th graders
To register for the 2015 event or to sign up as a volunteer, please visit charlesjohnsonfoundation.org. While this is a free event, the foundation does require all participants to register.
ABOUT CHARLES JOHNSON & THE CHARLES JOHNSON FOUNDATION
Charles Johnson is a native of Hawkinsville, GA, and a proud alumnus of Hawkinsville High School. After attending the University of Georgia where he starred at defensive end, Charles was drafted by the Carolina Panthers of the NFL in 2007 and now serves as a captain of the team.
Through eight professional seasons, Charles has received All-Pro recognition on the strength of 62.5 career sacks, placing him among the premier pass-rushers in the league.
In 2012, Charles’ passion for philanthropy and loyalty to Middle Georgia led him to launch the Charles Johnson Foundation. A non-profit organization, the Charles Johnson Foundation is dedicated to fulfilling a two-fold mission:
- Providing opportunities for under-served youth to reach their full potential through athletic, recreational, and educational programs and initiatives; and
- Providing support for single African American mothers through proven programs and initiatives.
The Charles Johnson Foundation Sports Academy and Community Weekend is the flagship annual event for the Charles Johnson Foundation, combining his efforts to advance education with free sports clinics in football, basketball, tennis, dance and cheer.