On Monday afternoon, the media was allowed to view about four minutes of practice. The team was in shells (helmets and shoulder pads), and the weather was noticeably cooler then it has been at practice with temps hovering around 80 degrees.
Here are some notes from practice:
- Defensive Coordinator Dan Lanning was working with the linebackers on a spin-tackle drill.
- “Emphasis this week is on wrapping up and contact,” said Lanning.
- Jermaine Johnson praised Walter Grant for his technique after one of his reps.
- The defensive line was working together on exploding off the ball.
- Tyler Clark and Michael Barnett were the two fastest guys off the ball during position drills.
- Michael Barnett was working in place of Jordan Davis with the first group at nose guard. Netori Johnson was also getting reps at nose guard.
- Of note, freshman defensive tackle Travon Walker was not seen during the limited media viewing period.
- Jake Fromm was taking snaps from center Trey Hill during position drills. Fromm hit several receivers in stride on a vertical route.
- Lawrence Cager, Demetris Robertson, and Tyler Simmons were those receivers.
- Offensive lineman Solomon Kindley was seen practicing today. He was working without limitation in drills, and his left ankle appeared to not give him any problems.
- It looked like Justin Shaffer was still working with the first group. Shaffer started versus Tennessee in the left guard spot over Kindley.
- Cade Mays and Ben Cleveland were working at first and second-team right guard.
- Tight ends coach Todd Hartley had his guys catching passes and then transitioned into a drill where they focused on selling their blocks.
- Eli Wolf was the first-team tight end today.
UGA Injury Update:
- After Kirby Smart said early today during the Noon press conference that cornerback Tyson Campbell might be able to go today, he was not seen at practice today. Campbell injured his foot during the second quarter of the Arkansas State game back on September 14th and hasn’t returned to play since. He also hasn’t been able to practice with the team.
- Defensive linemen Jordan Davis was not seen at practice today. Davis sustained a lower-leg injury during the first half of the Tennessee game this past Saturday. Note: During Kirby Smart’s press conference, Smart mentioned that Davis would be rehabbing during that time and we would likely not seen him at practice during the media viewing period.