During Tuesday’s practice, the media was allowed to view practice for eight minutes during periods 2-4. Contrary to popular belief and the rumors floating around social media, running back D’Andre Swift looked healthy and was running with the first team. Tyrique Stevenson and Tyson Campbell were working at cornerback today. Here are notes and observations from this afternoon’s practice:
- The QBs, RBs, and centers were working on snapping the ball, and then completing handoffs. Quarterback Jake Fromm (11), running back D’Andre Swift (7) and center Trey Hill (55) were with the first group in the drill. Quarterback Stetson Bennett (13), running back Zamir White (3) and o-lineman Cade Mays (77) were with the second group in the drill.
- When the offense broke out and into position drills, I observed the tight ends. They were running slant routes, and Charlie Woerner (89) and Eli Wolf (17) both caught passes. Kolby Wyatt (82) dropped a pass.
- I also had the opportunity to watch the quarterbacks throw to the receivers. Jake Fromm (11) connected on passes to Demetris Robertson (16) and Matt Landers (5). Robertson did drop the second pass, but Fromm threw it a little bit behind him. WR coach Cortez Hankin said something to Robertson, but I couldn’t tell what he said. It didn’t seem to be scolding him. Stetson Bennett (13), D’Wan Mathis (2) and Nathan Priestley (2) all threw the ball well. Priestly was dressed out in a No. 2 jersey as well.
- On the offensive line, Andrew Thomas (71) was at left tackle, Solomon Kindley (66) was at left guard (66) while Trey Hill (55)was at center in the first group. I didn’t spot Jamaree Salyer (69). He’s been out with a lower leg injury.
- The defensive line was working with Coach Tray Scott on footwork. Scott was yelling, “If your hip and shoulders don’t match, then you’re doing it wrong!”
- Tyler Clark (52), Malik Herring (10) and Travon Walker (44) all were impressive off the line, had nice footwork, and hit the tackling dummy hard. Coach Scott praised them for their hard work and effort.
- DeVonte Wyatt (95), Jordan Davis (99), and Tramel Walthour (90) all ran next in the drill. Davis ran well after Wyatt with great speed, and they matched what Coach Scott was saying. Walthour had trouble keeping with his balance and staying up on his toes.
- Tyrique Stevenson (7) and Tyson Campbell (3) were the first pair working at cornerback today. D.J. Daniel (14) and Eric Stokes (27) were in the second pair of cornerbacks today.
- Linebackers Azeez Ojulari (13) or Nolan Smith (7) were the pair working at OLB. Of note, Adam Anderson (19) was wearing a No. 9 scout team jersey today.
- Freshman Nakobe Dean (17) was again present and accounted for at practice working with the ILBs with no limitations it appeared.