The first Saturday in October is in the books. Southern Cal prevailed in triple overtime. Miami, what in the world? Sheer stupidity. A week after losing to Bowling Green, the Yellow Jackets stun the Hurricanes, who ripped defeat from the jaws of victory. The stage is set for one of the biggest games of the season and what may turn out to be THE game in the PAC-12’s final season with Oregon at Washington.
1. Georgia – The Bulldogs looked like the best team in the country last week with a 51-13 victory over Kentucky in a battle of undefeated teams. Georgia is 6-0, winners of 39 of the last 40 and off to Nashville to play Vanderbilt. It’s an early kickoff in Music City.
2. Ohio State – It was a slow start for the Buckeyes in The Horseshoe against Maryland, as they trailed the Terps 10-0. But an interception return for a touchdown swung the game and Ohio State rolled to a 37-17 victory. Ohio State visits Purdue on Saturday.
3. Florida State – Fresh off an open date, the Seminoles took down Virginia Tech 39-17 in Tallahassee, improving to 5-0. Florida State returns to Doak Campbell Saturday to take on Syracuse in another ACC battle.
4. Michigan – The Wolverines offense is rolling. In a tough looking matchup, Michigan was dominant in an old Big Ten showdown with Big Blue beating the Gophers 52-10. Indiana heads to the Big House Saturday, as Michigan aims to make it 7-0
5. Washington – The Huskies were off this past week, getting fully charged for the invasion of the Oregon Ducks. Led by quarterback Michael Penix, the Huskies have one of the nation’s most dynamic offenses. Husky Stadium will be rocking Saturday for this dandy.
6. Oregon – See above with Washington. Just like their rivals, the Ducks were off this past week, so it’s been all focus on the Huskies. Bo Nix is doing an excellent job at quarterback for Oregon. This sets up a tremendous showdown in Seattle.
7. Oklahoma – The Sooners are back. Oklahoma won the Red River Rivalry in thrilling fashion, topping Texas 34-30 in Dallas. They’ve been able to savor it for a minute, as the Sooners have an open date. Next up is Central Florida in Norman.
8. Texas – It was a heartbreaking loss for the Longhorns, as they fell to their nemesis Oklahoma in Dallas. Like Oklahoma, Texas is off this week. Then comes a trip to Houston. There are some looming pitfalls, but the Horns are still very much alive.
9. Southern Cal – The Trojans escaped with a pulse pounding 43-41 triple overtime victory over Arizona in the coliseum, and are 6-0. The defense has some issues. The great national rivalry continues this week with a trip to South Bend to play the Irish.
10. Alabama – The Crimson Tide picked up a huge win over Texas A&M in College Station. Bama is 3-0 in league play and looking good. The defense is playing very well during this SEC win streak. Arkansas heads to Tuscaloosa Saturday.
11. Penn State – This is the third player in the Big Ten East. The schedule looked a bit funny. An open date after the win at Northwestern, and now a visit from UMass. All eyes will then be on Ohio State in Columbus as Penn State gears up for the Buckeyes.
12. Ole Miss – The Rebels held off Arkansas 27-20 to pick up a big win behind the thriller over LSU. Ole Miss is off this week, then comes a road trip to Auburn. The Rebels offense is one of the best in the SEC.