[break] [break] “I’m really proud of our guys,” Georgia head coach Manuel Diaz said. Georgia Tech played a terrific doubles point. Our guys played with a lot of composure and a lot of fight. Georgia Tech has a very good team. This match was good for our team and our guy’s confidence. Our backs were against the wall, and I think we’re a much better team after today.”
[break] [break] Georgia (4-1) dropped the doubles point to Georgia Tech (5-1) with consecutive losses at courts Nos. 1 and 3. The Bulldogs’ No. 16 pair of Ben Wagland and Paul Oosterbaan fell 6-2 to Carlos Benito and Eduardo Segura. Moments later, the Yellow Jackets’ Michael Kay and Christopher Eubanks defeated No. 53 Nathan Pasha and Wayne Montgomery 6-2 to give Georgia Tech a 1-0 lead.
[break] [break] Montgomery got Georgia on the board with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over No. 49 Nathan Rakitt at No. 1. Fifteenth-ranked Pasha claimed his 200th career win with a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Eduardo Segura. Pasha becomes only the 14th player in Georgia history to reach the milestone.
[break] [break] After Oosterbaan fell in a second-set tiebreaker to Georgia Tech’s Cole Fiegel, the Bulldogs’ Wagland gave Georgia the 3-2 advantage with a 6-4, 6-4 score over Michael Kay on No. 4. Nick Wood followed with his second three-set clinch of the spring season. Austin Smith fell in his match to Christopher Eubanks 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4) with the match already decided.
[break] [break] Georgia next plays in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, held Feb. 13-16 in Chicago.
[break] Tennis Match Results
Georgia vs Georgia Tech
Feb 06, 2015 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#4 Georgia 4, #75 Georgia Tech 3[break]
1. #32 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. #49 Nathan Rakitt (GT) 6-3, 6-2
2. Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. #11 Austin Smith (UGA) 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (7-4)
3. #15 Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-1, 7-5
4. Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Michael Kay (GT) 6-4, 6-4
5. #101 Nick Wood (UGA) def. Carlos Benito (GT) 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
6. Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Peter Oosterbaan (UGA) 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
1. Carlos Benito/Eduardo Segura (GT) def. #16 Peter Oosterbaan/Ben Wagland (UGA) 6-2
2. Nathan Rakitt/Cole Fiegel (GT) vs. #34 Eric Diaz/Austin Smith (UGA) 5-3, unfinished
3. Michael Kay/Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. #53 Nathan Pasha/Wayne Montgomery (UGA) 6-2
Georgia 4-1; National ranking #4
Georgia Tech 5-1; National ranking #75
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,3,6,4,5,2)
Match played indoors