Georgia women’s swimming and diving team senior Chantal Van Landeghem has been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Georgia.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes. The Southeastern Conference will name the 2017 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 27. Chantal Van Landeghem of the UGA women’s swimming and diving team has also been nominated for the post-graduate scholarship.
Highlights of the UGA women’s nominee include:
Chantal Van Landeghem, Women’s Swimming and Diving
• Inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and became the first UGA student-athlete to win the Dean William Tate Award in recognition of a 4.0 GPA
• Named the recipient of the Vickie and Leon Farmer Scholarship
• 2015 Capital One / CoSIDA Third-Team At-Large Academic All-American
• 2014 Elite 90 winner (highest GPA at the NCAAs)
• 3-time CSCAA Scholar All-American
• 3-time UGA Swimming and Diving Scholar-Athlete Award
• Member of Georgia’s Leadership Academy
• Named to the Athletic Director’s Honor Roll as a Presidential Scholar with a 4.0 GPA
• Named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll
• Research assistant in the FRESH (Family Relationships, Emotions, Stress, and Health) Lab in UGA’s Department of Psychology
• Guest lecturer in the Psychology of Movement
• Finished her career as a 19-time All-American, a 2-time NCAA team champion and a 1-time NCAA individual champion
• Finished her career with 11 SEC individual titles and 3 SEC team titles
• Helped the 200 and 400 freestyle and 200 and 400 medley relays set Georgia records
• Earned a bronze medal at the 2016 Olympics as a member of Canada’s 4×100-meter freestyle relay
• Psychology major (and a Cognitive Sciences minor) scheduled to graduate in May of 2017
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were Forrest Gamble of the Ole Miss men’s golf team and Haylie McCleney of the Alabama softball team.