The 11th-ranked Georgia men’s tennis team (4-3) ended its play at the ITA National Men’s Team Indoor Championship with a loss to No. 14 Texas Tech (12-1) in the consolation draw on Sunday at the Boar’s Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Virginia.
“I’m proud of our guys and we fought extremely hard,” head coach Manuel Diaz said. “It was a tough battle and at moments I thought we were getting ready to win the whole dual match. But then the momentum swung a little bit back and forth and ultimately Texas Tech deserved to win. We just had too many ups and downs and they capitalized on it.”
The Bulldogs came out strong in doubles play where they went up breaks early on all three courts. Georgia’s No. 43 pair of Emil Reinberg and Wayne Montgomery earned a quick 6-3 victory at No. 3 over Texas Tech’s Jolan Cailleau and Connor Curry. The Bulldogs’ No. 13 duo of Austin Smith and Ben Wagland then clinched at No. 1 with a 6-4 decision over Hugo Dojas and Felipe Soares, ranked second nationally.
Texas Tech made an early run in singles to take five of six first sets. The Red Raiders grabbed the momentum when it took first-set tiebreakers at Nos. 1, 5 and 6 in consecutive fashion.
Texas Tech’s No. 61 Alex Sendegeya topped Jan Zielinski 6-4, 6-2 at No. 3 to tie the overall score before Georgia’s No. 40 Smith defeated No. 110 Hugo Dojas 6-3, 6-2 to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 advantage. Shortly after Cailleau earned a 6-1, 6-4 victory over No. 75 Paul Oosterbaan to even the score at 2-2. Georgia’s Montgomery split on No. 1 to go to a third set, but Reinberg and senior Nick Wood were unable to do the same at Nos. 5 and 6 as the Red Raiders clinched the 4-2 victory in two sets at each.
The Bulldogs will open the outdoor portion of the spring season upon its return to Athens. The outdoor season on February 28 at 2 p.m. ET against ETSU at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex before Georgia hosts its SEC opener on March 4 against Mississippi State.
TENNIS MATCH RESULTS:
Texas Tech vs Georgia
Feb 14, 2016 at ITA National Team Indoors
(Boar’s Head Sports Club, Charlottesville)
#14 Texas Tech 4, #11 Georgia 2
- #22 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) vs. #11 Felipe Soares (TT) 6-7, 7-6, 1-2, unfinished
- #40 Austin Smith (UGA) def. #10 Hugo Dojas (TT) 6-3, 6-2
- #61 Alex Sendegeya (TT) def. Jan Zielinski (UGA) 6-4, 6-2
- Jolan Cailleau (TT) def. #75 Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) 6-1, 6-4
- Connor Curry (TT) def. Emil Reinberg (UGA) 7-6, 7-5
- Bjorn Thomson (TT) def. Nick Wood (UGA) 7-6, 7-5
- #13 Austin Smith/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Hugo Dojas/Felipe Soares (TT) 6-4
- Paul Oosterbaan/Jan Zielinski (UGA) vs. #45 Alex Sendegeya/Bjorn Thomson (TT) 5-6, unfinished
- #43 Emil Reinberg/Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. Jolan Cailleau/Connor Curry (TT) 6-3
Texas Tech 12-1; National ranking #14
Georgia 4-3; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,2,4,6,5)
ITA National Team Indoors Consolation Match
FOLLOW THE BULLDOGS
For more information on the Georgia men’s tennis team, follow the team on Twitter (@UGATennis), Instagram (@ugatennis) and Facebook (UGA Men’s Tennis).