We head to the second week of November with some furious races for several major conference battles. The two biggest games in the country this week are in Athens and Happy Valley. Ole Miss heads to Georgia and Penn State hosts Michigan. There are some big ones out west, as Washington and Oregon position for a possible rematch.
1. Georgia – The Bulldogs picked up a huge 30-21 victory over Missouri this past Saturday. Georgia is 9-0 and has won 42 of the last 43 games. Ole Miss comes to Athens this week in what will be one of the Bulldogs toughest challenges of the season.
2. Ohio State – The Buckeyes trailed at the half to Rutgers, but battled back, scored a defensive touchdown and topped the Scarlet Knights 28-16. Michigan State heads to the Horseshoe on Saturday as Ohio State tries to make it 10-0 on the year.
3. Florida State – The Seminoles are cooking at 9-0. They took care of a down Pitt team 24-7 on Saturday. The old in-state, the first of the two, recommences on Saturday, as the Hurricanes come to town. Everything is in place for FSU.
4. Washington – The Huskies won a 52-42 PAC-12 shootout in the Coliseum. Michael Penix Jr. was terrific and running back Dillon Johnson had 256 yards and four touchdowns on 26 carries. Utah comes to town for a big showdown Saturday.
5. Michigan – The Wolverines rolled past Purdue 41-13 and are 9-0 on the season. Of course there is controversy in Ann Arbor. Michigan has its second biggest game of the year on Saturday, as they take on Penn State in Happy Valley.
6. Texas – The Longhorns pulled out a 33-30 thriller over Kansas State, an old nemesis of Texas. Kansas State made a run in the fourth quarter, but Texas hung on. The ‘Horns are now 8-1 and host the TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday.
7. Alabama – The Crimson Tide won a 42-28 shootout over LSU, scoring the final 21 points of the game in Tuscaloosa. Jalen Milroe had a sensational performance at quarterback for Bama. The Crimson Tide can clinch the SEC West with a win at Kentucky Saturday.
8. Oregon – Since their heartbreaking loss to Washington, the Ducks have been a powerful Quack Attack. Oregon pounded Cal 63-19 this past Saturday to make it 8-1. Now the Southern Cal Trojans head to Autzen Stadium, where it will be rocking.
9. Ole Miss – The Rebels won a 38-35 thriller over Texas A&M, hanging on in the closing seconds to improve to 8-1 on the season. Ole Miss is having one of its best years in a long time, and now the Rebels take on Georgia in Athens.
10. Penn State – The Nittany Lions had their best all-around performance of the season with an inverted score 51-15 victory over Maryland. Now Michigan comes to town for a huge game. This is one the program could use in a big way.
11. Missouri – The Tigers lost a tough one to Georgia in Athens 30-21. The Tigers are 7-2, and still have a shot at a major bowl game. It’s a big one on Saturday, as the Tennessee Volunteers head to Columbia. The Tigers are one tough football team.
12. Tennessee – It was a tuneup cruise for the Volunteers over UConn 59-3. That was for my buddy Vol Fan Rob, who passed away last week. Tennessee has a huge battle with Missouri in Columbia on Saturday, trying to stay alive in the SEC East race.