In front of a national television audience and a number of Bulldog fans at the USTA National Campus, the Georgia men’s tennis team defeated Georgia Tech, 4-0, Friday evening.
The two squads met as part of the USTA’s College MatchDay, with the contest airing on the Tennis Channel. Georgia picked up the victory to improve to 4-0 this season and has now won 31 of the last 32 meetings, including a 64-9 lead in the all-time series, against Georgia Tech.
“What a spectacular night for college tennis,” head coach Manuel Diaz said. “I know our team enjoyed this event, and we were so honored to take part in College MatchDay. I want to thank the USTA and the Tennis Channel for making this happen, and my hope is that we will continue to do these kinds of events to promote our game. As far as the match itself, I thought it was a strong performance from our guys. Obviously a tough loss by Robert and Jan in doubles, but we rebounded and played really well all the way around.”
In doubles, the eighth-ranked duo of Robert Loeb and Jan Zielinski dropped a 6-0 contest to Tech’s pair of Michael Kay and Carlos Divar. The Bulldogs fought back with two 6-2 wins — one from the tandem of Walker Duncan and Wayne Montgomery and the other by the duo of Alex Diaz and Paul Oosterbaan — to stake claim to a 1-0 lead.
The win by Diaz and Oosterbaan improved their record to 2-0 when playing together, while the combo of Duncan and Montgomery moved to 10-4, dating back to the fall season.
Georgia made quick work of the Yellow Jackets in singles, picking up first-set wins at four courts. That trend continued as the Bulldogs got straight-set triumphs from Montgomery and Loeb, before Zielinski clinched with a 6-1, 6-3 victory against Chris Yun.
The Bulldogs now get set for the ITA National Indoor Championships, which will take place Feb. 16-19 in Seattle, Washington.
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech Match Results
Feb. 9, 2018 – USTA College MatchDay
1. Michael Kay/Carlos Divar (GT) def. #8 Robert Loeb/Jan Zielinski (Georgia), 6-0
2. Walker Duncan/Wayne Montgomery (Georgia) def. Elijah Melendez/Daniel Yun (GT), 6-2
3. Alex Diaz/Paul Oosterbaan (Georgia) def. Phillip Gresk/Andrew Li (GT), 6-2
1. #17 Wayne Montgomery (Georgia) def. #39 Carlos Divar (GT), 6-1, 6-2
2. #45 Nathan Ponwith (Georgia) vs. Andrew Li (GT), 2-6, 5-2, uf
3. #31 Emil Reinberg (Georgia) vs. Elijah Melendez (GT), 6-4, 3-4, uf
4. #14 Walker Duncan (Georgia) vs. Phillip Gresk (GT), 6-3, 4-5, uf
5. #26 Jan Zielinski (Georgia) def. Chris Yun (GT), 6-1, 6-3
6. Robert Loeb (Georgia) def. Daniel Yun (GT), 6-3, 6-1