A solid showing in doubles and three quick singles wins handed the No. 10-ranked Georgia men’s tennis team a 4-0 victory against No. 40-ranked LSU on Sunday.
The Bulldogs finish the regular season with a 14-5 overall record and 8-4 mark in SEC play. Georgia enters postseason competition riding a seven-match conference win streak with eight wins in its last nine contests overall.
Head coach Manuel Diaz’s team has earned a No. 3 seed in the SEC tournament, which takes place April 19-23 in Fayetteville, Ark.
“That was great tennis from our guys today,” Diaz said. “We finished the regular season as one of the hottest teams in the country, right where you want to be heading into postseason play. Our guys are finally getting healthy and playing really well at the right time. We still have things to improve on, but I am pleased with our energy and our effort in both singles and doubles today.”
In doubles, the nation’s No. 6-ranked duo of Trent Bryde and Tyler Zink earned an early break to go up 3-1 at court one.
As LSU battled back to tie it at 3-3 against Bryde and Zink, Georgia answered at the second and third courts. Erik Grevelius and Philip Henning broke Nick Watson and Boris Kozlov to go up 4-2 as Croyder and Rowe fought back to knot the score at 3-3 on two.
The Tigers’ surge at court one was not enough as Georgia’s combo of Bryde and Zink won the last three games to hand Georgia a 6-3 triumph. Needing just one more win to clinch doubles, Grevelius and Henning earned their second-straight victory of the year to hand the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead.
Georgia then made quick work of the Tigers in singles.
Bryde and Henning led off with a pair of straight-sets wins, followed by Rowe’s 6-4, 6-2 clincher at court five. The teams ended the match there with the Bulldogs winning first sets at all six courts in the 4-0 triumph.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia vs LSU
Apr 11, 2021 at Baton Rouge, La. (LSU Tennis Complex)
#10 Georgia 4, #40 LSU 0
1. #21 Trent Bryde (UGA) def. #54 Ronald Hohmann (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) vs. #89 Tyler Zink (UGA) 4-6, 6-5, unfinished
3. #25 Philip Henning (UGA) def. Joao Graca (LSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Boris Kozlov (LSU) vs. Blake Croyder (UGA) 3-6, 6-3, 1-1, unfinished
5. Billy Rowe (UGA) def. Benjamin Ambrosio (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Ben Koch (LSU) vs. Baptiste Anselmo (UGA) 4-6, 2-5, unfinished
Order of finish (1,3, 5)
1. #6 Trent Bryde/Tyler Zink (UGA) def. #55 Ronald Hohmann/Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-3
2. Joao Graca/Joey Thomas (LSU) vs. #48 Blake Croyder/Billy Rowe (UGA) 4-5, unfinished
3. Philip Henning/Erik Grevelius (UGA) def. Nick Watson/Boris Kozlov (LSU) 6-3
Order of finish (1,3)